what is the best for looks

earlybird

Some will tell you that it's just a matter of time before the auto tint gets some salt creep between it and your glass. I'd go with a few coats of krylon matte black. FYI, I can still use the magfloat on my paint with no problems.

jkcrumb

I've heard the same thing about the tint.....the salt and possibly water will eventually get behind it and if the back of your tank is pretty tight to the wall it could be a major headach to fix in the future.........I used a mixture of oil based paint tinted to add some color and then added krylon black to that paint for extra strengh and bond. (the color is now a very dark greenish teal)...........no problems yet........took about 3 coats to cover.........dont rush in between coats.........12-24 hrs....Make sure you clean the glass (3 times) before you start......oils from your fingers will make the paint not adhere...I've also heard you can scuff the glass with sand paper so the paint will stick better BUT dont do it, it will weakin the glass because alot of the strenght in tempered galss is in the finish'...........good luck and stay away from the tint

bhfccsr198

i painted my ten gallon with just regular black paint and a roller it took about 3 coats but it came out really nice but now i bought a 75rr tank and im going to paint the back blue to me i think painting so much better never worry about seaing cords in back and never worry about salt creep between glass and back ground just my two cents

earlybird

Originally Posted by Infalable
Why do you want to paint the back?
Gives the tank depth and hides any cords hanging behind the tank. FYI we paint the outside back of the tank.