What is the minimum lighting?

goldberg33

what is the minimum lighting for soft corals? For example Xenia, will they thrive with just regular flourescent lighting? What is required?

jackri

No flourescent's won't keep them alive. They need strong light.
I kept some under PC lighting and they were ok... didn't grow or spread but were stretched out seeking more.
Under my halides they spread like wildfire.

flower

Originally Posted by goldberg33
http:///forum/post/3030564
what is the minimum lighting for soft corals? For example Xenia, will they thrive with just regular flourescent lighting? What is required?
Regular fish lighting won't work for xenia, they need at least Power Compacts
That said...There are allot of corals that do not require much light, in fact the least amount of light.
Here is a list:
  • Chili Coral (bright red w/little white star polyps)
  • Sun coral ( bright yellow, and black, needs to be spot fed)
  • Sea fans (purple and yellow, maybe other colors ???)
    Gorgonia (yellow, red, purple, blue, and orange)
    Sponges (an invert but very pretty...blue, red, orange and yellow)
As you can see there are plenty of gorgous colors, and no need for any fancy lights, these beauties love the dim lights and caves.

goldberg33

Well thanks for that I'll consider them, but I have to buy new lights anyways. So does anyone have any suggestions? Im not looking to spend more than 160 bucks.

goldberg33

Im actually a hawks fan, I just like the movie. If your a wings fan I dont think I want your suggestion. Anyone else with more than half a brain have any suggestions?

flower

http:///forum/post/3031218
Well thanks for that I'll consider them, but I have to buy new lights anyways. So does anyone have any suggestions? Im not looking to spend more than 160 bucks.
The only thing at that price is used...try craigs list or something like that.

culp

http:///forum/post/3031218
it will be just about impossible to get any good light fixture for $160, Heck i wouldn't use any thing i couldn't use a Ice Cap 660 on and that alone cost around $150.

loopy101

depending on what kind of corals you want to keep. if you want soft corals and LPS corals i would go with T5's cost less to run and dont put out that much heat. if you want clams and SPS corals i would get a set of MH lights. personally i am a fan of T5's versus compact lights for the fact they are cheaper to run.

goldberg33

The tank is 48" across and its 120 gallons. IM not lookin to keep any clams or hard corals just the soft ones. so a T5 would be my best bet?

teresaq

Either the t5s, or something like this, ( Current USA Satellite Dual Compact Fluorescent, 4X65 Watt, 48 inch )
Though if your tank is really deep, this may not reach the bottom. I used this light on my 55 gal and could keep, zoos, shrooms, leathers, gps, kenya trees, xenia

http:///forum/post/3031228
Im actually a hawks fan, I just like the movie. If your a wings fan I dont think I want your suggestion. Anyone else with more than half a brain have any suggestions?

HAHA, i have a couple leathers, lots of zoas, mushrooms and such, and on the side that they're all on, i just have one 55 watt daylight and a 55 watt actinic. the other side on my 110 gallon i've got that same light setup + 250 watt halide. My softies have done very well. they don't get much (if any) of the Metal halide light, so i think you should be good. Definitely don't get a halide setup if you're not running a chiller.
WINGS V HAWKS should be a dandy!

goldberg33

Yea I cant wait for that series to start if it even happens. I just bought a used 400 watt MH system
so I think I should be set. Hopefully everything grows well. thanks for everyones input.