what is the right way do water changes?

michaeltx

mix the water in a seperate bucket airate over night
test both the new water and tank water to make sure everything is the same including temp.
take out the the old water out of the tank
add slowly the new made up water.Make sure any un mixed salt stays out of the tank if it falls on any corals it will kill them.
if you have a sump shut that off before you start or you might overflow it when you start adding the new water.
Turn all the pumps back on and a way you go.
it also helps if you have a pump to pump the water out of the tank and then to pump it back in makes it faster and easier to work with.
well anyway this is the way I do it.
HTH
Mike

dbrabago

ok the way i was doing it was by using the water hose to fill the tank about an inch from the top,then just mix the salt in a small bucket then i adjust the salinty. is that ok?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Originally Posted by dbrabago
ok the way i was doing it was by using the water hose to fill the tank about an inch from the top,then just mix the salt in a small bucket then i adjust the salinity. is that ok?
No, freshly mixed salt should be "aged". Meaning it should be well mixed over at least a 2 day period using a pump for circulation. There is no way that freshly mixed salt water is really mixed by just mixing it up, "dissolving it" (not really) and then using it. My opinion is that many of fish ailments result from this practice that goes unidentified because it is not obvious.
I like to do a very small water change every day, rather than major maintenance water changes. In the last reef tank I had, which was a 72 gal, I changed out 1 gal of salt water a day replaced with new salt water and added 1 gal of fresh water a day (due to evaporation).

perfectdark

From what I read, its recomended to let your salt water circulate for a week if you can. This stabilizes pH, establishes equilibrium between carbon dioxide and oxygen and provides a more stable water source for your inhabitants.

new180g

Hmmmmm...
I'm glad I read about this. I used to add the water I mixed for water changes the same day I mixed it. Ugh! I had no idea to age it.

How long should one age the mixed water? Is 2 days sufficient? Or a week like perfect dark states?
Beth, you said that many fish ailments can result from not aging the mixed water. Would these ailments appear within a few days, or it could happen months from now? (Even though I will do it correctly from now on)
Thanks.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Problem could appear immediately, to within a few days, to gradually over time. Stress due to fish's direct contact with undissolved salt, fluctuations in salt chemistry due to inadequate mix, etc. Undissolved salt that comes into to contact with fish tissues can and do wreck havoc with delicate membranes.

new180g

Thanks! I guess I've just been lucky, then. I'll be sure to age it from now on for 2 days prior to doing my water changes.

dinogeorge

I have a 30 gallon plastic trash can with a heater and sump-pump and a spray bar. It sits on rollers. The water is circulated and injected with air from my spray bar for several days. When I am ready to do a water change on one of my tanks, I roll the trash can next to the tank, move the spray bar into the tank and pump in as much water as I removed. Then I add water and salt again, and let it run until I am ready to change the next tank.

mie

Originally Posted by Dinogeorge
I have a 30 gallon plastic trash can with a heater and sump-pump and a spray bar. It sits on rollers. The water is circulated and injected with air from my spray bar for several days. When I am ready to do a water change on one of my tanks, I roll the trash can next to the tank, move the spray bar into the tank and pump in as much water as I removed. Then I add water and salt again, and let it run until I am ready to change the next tank.
I as well have a 50 plus gallon can in the garage that always has pre mixed ro salt water it is so convenient and great in case of emergency's.