What is the simplest way to start....

lennon

Hi everyone,
I want a simple saltwater tank and wanted to know what are the simplest equipment to get for it.
I was getting a 40 something size tank or possibly smaller...but I want to avoid too many outlets wires etc...
Can someone help pleaaase

airforceb2

First off get a book...The Conscientious Marine Aquarist by Fenner and learn from that. After reading, see if you are still into the hobby. You will have a lot of wires and a lot of money spent on equipment.

lennon

Originally Posted by airforceb2
First off get a book...The Conscientious Marine Aquarist by Fenner and learn from that. After reading, see if you are still into the hobby. You will have a lot of wires and a lot of money spent on equipment.

Fortunately, I did read that book about 3 times.
I know there are wires and such...but was just wondering how to simplify. Do I use hang on equipment...sump/refug? I just want to use what has been most successful to some here.
money is not an issue..I can deal with that part of it thank goodness

jmick

Unfortunately, with all saltwater set ups there are going to be many power-cords (heater, lights, pumps, power heads, ect). What I’ve done to minimize their presence is to mount my heater, skimmer, pumps in my sump (my drain coming off my overflow box is tee’d off to drain into my sump and my fuge because I don’t want any excessive equipment in my fuge because I want it to be a peaceful place). I also plan on making a spray bar in the near future so I can get rid of my two power heads. There are many ways to simplify your tank—it just takes some planning and a few bucks.

lennon

Originally Posted by Jmick
Unfortunately, with all saltwater set ups there are going to be many power-cords (heater, lights, pumps, power heads, ect). What I’ve done to minimize their presence is to mount my heater, skimmer, pumps in my sump (my drain coming off my overflow box is tee’d off to drain into my sump and my fuge because I don’t want any excessive equipment in my fuge because I want it to be a peaceful place). I also plan on making a spray bar in the near future so I can get rid of my two power heads. There are many ways to simplify your tank—it just takes some planning and a few bucks.
Yes, I figured some cords and such. I guess that goes for any size tank right
If I did a sump/refugium..I had planned on putting my items in there too.
What would be items that I need to keep above? powerheads I suppose.
I will have a canopy and although I love the color of corals and many other things..I wonder if I should just keep it to a FOWLR tank and maybe just have a few fish. :happyfish :happyfish :happyfish
I just get nervous about the idea of this not working out since I see so many with problems on this site. I think I may start a new thread to find out who is constantly successful and how long it took to get to that point.
One definite for me is an automatic top off system. How often do you do water changes?
Thanks for the help!! :cheer:

jmick

I started with a FOWLR and as my knowledge increased I converted to a reef tank (this has been over the span of a few years). The key to keeping either style tank is patience! Try not to buy anything on impulse and make sure you have the right equipment for you given set up. Take advantage of sites like this one and try not to place to much value on what your LFS has to say (there are some good ones but they are there to make money)!
IMO, most of the problems people have are self induced. A lot of the times people buy animals they are not prepared to take care of (like a LTA and they only have a 15 watt light system) or they add new fish without first quarantining the animal for a few weeks and are shocked when their tank has an ICH outbreak and then they crash their system when they treat it.
The only items you need to keep in your main tank are your powerheads (if you built/bought a spray bar you could eliminate that as well). Also, if you do not have built in overflows you would need an overflow box. I do 20% water change every month.

littleliza

I have a nanocube (jbj deluxe 12 gallon) and it has a few less wires than my 44 gallon because it came as a complete set, so the fans, lights, moonlighting, etc were wired together. Just an idea to look into... I still need seperate wiring for my power head (I upgraded) and heater.

J

jdragunas

yes, i agree. The bigger the tank, the better, as you have much more room for error. Having a fuge will help out a lot too. I've been pretty sucessful, and i've had my tank for about 8 months now. I havn't had any deaths in like 4 months, except for a few shrimp... My LFS didn't inform me when i bought my strawberry pseudo that it would eat the peppermint & camel back shrimp that i purchased at the same time... needless to say, they refunded me...
Having read the concientious marine aquarist, you are about 5 steps ahead of where i was when i bought my tank. I read saltwater aquariums for dummies... mistake. I'd say just start off really slow, and i agree totally, never buy anything on impulse... ALWAYS consult SWF.com first....lol.

1journeyman

IMHO, list of equipment that is a must...
Lights... If money is not an issue go ahead and get lighting now that's significant for corals... chances are eventually you're going to want it.
Heater
Powerheads.. This can be minimized though if you put pumps under the stand and make a "closed" loop with them.
Protein Skimmer... if you have a sump it can go into there.
Fans.. or at least be prepared to have fans in case of temp climbing
Stray voltage ground probe
You're going to have a lot of cords. What you can do to minimize them though is to have a couple of powerstrips under your stand. That way you only have the two cords for them coming out from the tank.
I have about 16 things plugged in for my tank (lot's of lights plus pH monitor and Calcium monitor in addition to the above list). It's doable.. but it takes time, patience and some creative thinking with extention cords, etc.
Also, be sure to use those GFI sockets in the wall.

J

jdragunas

i unintentionally put my stand right in front of a power outlet.... i don't have any chords showing. They're all behind my stand. I'm happy about that now...

lennon

The only items you need to keep in your main tank are your powerheads (if you built/bought a spray bar you could eliminate that as well). Also, if you do not have built in overflows you would need an overflow box. I do 20% water change every month.
Sounds like you got the right idea with this and you are doing great. I hope to do the same.
If I do the spray bar..would that be noisy? Hubby tends to fall asleep in that room and I am trying to keep the noise level down. Maybe I can do a spray bar during the day and powerheads at night? what do you think?
I love the 20% water change once a month...much better than hearing it once a week. That would just be way to much for me right now. In the beginning I will do whatever it takes and hopefully maintenance will be less later.
I did lots of research and I do plan to follow many of "the conscientious aquarist" suggestions. I love that book.
Can you tell me what equipment (brands) you have that have worked out for you? Like I said, money is not an issue right now..so I would be willing to get the best of what I need.
Thanks so much for being SOOOOOO helpful.
I appreciate everyones responses and feel free to jump in everyone. The more advise..the better...
:joy:

seahorse11

I have a question about setting up LR. Should i add the LR to th empty tank and THEN fill it with water or should I fill the tank with water first and THEN add the LR? I was told to put water in the tank and after 3 days add the LR. Wouldnt it be easier to arrange when the tank is dry?

soo high

depends if you have uncured liverock then yes it will be eay to stack rocks and build caves and stuff but if you have cured live rock wait 3-5 day then go ahead and buy some rocks and stack it in the water because if you put live rocks and then water and salt, most of the life in the rock is going die

lennon

Originally Posted by Littleliza
I have a nanocube (jbj deluxe 12 gallon) and it has a few less wires than my 44 gallon because it came as a complete set, so the fans, lights, moonlighting, etc were wired together. Just an idea to look into... I still need seperate wiring for my power head (I upgraded) and heater.
How successful have you been with your nanocube? How much maintenance do you do per week..per month?
Do you have corals in there too?
I am not sure if I should just get something small like that...or if I should do the 49 gallon :thinking:

lennon

Originally Posted by jdragunas
yes, i agree. The bigger the tank, the better, as you have much more room for error. Having a fuge will help out a lot too. I've been pretty sucessful, and i've had my tank for about 8 months now. I havn't had any deaths in like 4 months, except for a few shrimp... My LFS didn't inform me when i bought my strawberry pseudo that it would eat the peppermint & camel back shrimp that i purchased at the same time... needless to say, they refunded me...
Having read the concientious marine aquarist, you are about 5 steps ahead of where i was when i bought my tank. I read saltwater aquariums for dummies... mistake. I'd say just start off really slow, and i agree totally, never buy anything on impulse... ALWAYS consult SWF.com first....lol.

Thanks for the advise. You have a 55 like I want to get..I think I am going to do either the 49 or 55..not sure yet.
What equiptment have you gotten for it? What brand and items do you recommend. i love when I hear success stories. I tend to get discouraged with all the negative I hear about it. My birthday is on Thursday and this is my present should I decide to say yes to hubby.
How is the maintenance on that 55? can you tell me details pretty please...lol
Thanks much!!

lennon

Originally Posted by 1journeyman
IMHO, list of equipment that is a must..
Powerheads.. This can be minimized though if you put pumps under the stand and make a "closed" loop with them.
Stray voltage ground probe
Also, be sure to use those GFI sockets in the wall.

Unfortunately, I do not know what you mean by "closed loop" or stray voltage...Is this something I can hire someone to do? And do I need to do all these at once?
Thanks so much!!

lennon

Originally Posted by CELACANTHr
for the cheapest tank i would go with a FO youll need a heater, filter, pump and lights.

So no LR? I thought that helped filter a FO tank better? I'm so confused. What filter would I use and what rock would you put in...fake stuff?
Thanks for the advise!!

celacanthr

For the cheapest way i would go with a fo with very few fish. If you have very little bioload then you can just get a biowheel.