What is the very best canister out there??

carorella88

I'm Looking into systems for a new tank, I will definitely have live sand and rock, and a protein skimmer, but what about a power filter... I don't know which would be better, a canister, or the afor mentioned.... And which are the very best of each???

sdmarriott

If you give us some more details as to the size of tank you want and what you want to keep in it people can make more informed (and thus more useful) recommendations.
From what I have read, some people are either retiring their cannister filters or removing the media and using them just for circulation (or to house carbon on occasion). Dependent on the size of tank you will be running and the occupants, a power filter might work.

ocellaris_keeper

What size tank do you have? What do you intend to do with it - reef or fish?
If you have a DSB with LR you need to have the right amount of water flow (power heads) and a filtration system for carbon. Any cannister filter will do as long as you have the right amount of water flow through the filter. In fact the only reason for the filter is to keep your water crystal clear, the DSB, LR and skimmer do the rest.

carorella88

Ok,, I have a 46 gallon tank, and I would like to have a f/o, with more than likely some messy eaters,, puffers etc. And live sand bed w live rock,, I can't afford a sump yet,, so I am just going to have to have as much as possible on, or under my tank,, which is a bowfront... SOOOOooooo..... I am just wondering what the best type of filtration will, be also, I am going to have a protein skimmer..

fshhub

cant afford a sump??
build it, you can do so for little money, i would reccommend a sump or refugium,a nd an aggressive skimmer, before anythign else, especially a canister
HTH

B

bcarp

I always hear about these sumps. What exactly are they? How do you build your own? Why are they better than canisters?

new

a sump is a large bio-filtering system. they can be very easy or very complex. mine is easy, i went to wal-mart and bought a 31gal rubbermaid tub and 2 12qt trash cans, i drilled alot of large holes in the tops of the trash cans. 1 trashcan will have the feed from the overflow discharging in the bottom and traveling up through bio-balls into the tub, where it will be skimmed through a kent nautilus skimmer, then into the other trashcan that contains a mag 7 pump and returns the water to the display through a 1/2" cpvc sraybar. this system is replacing a fluval 404, ecosystem 60 hang-on, and a ugf. the 404 will remain as a real expensive ph and place for carbon or sponges if needed.

surferboy

I would forget the canister filter and go with an AMT hang on filter if not using a sump. Canister filters are just big garbage collectors and they loose the flow rate very easily when they get dirty. The AMT "advanced marine technology" filter has high water flow and was made specifically for saltwater tanks. You have to have a sand substrate for this system since it pushes the water around and all the excess junk on the sand like food get sucked up in to the lift tubes. Read about this filter on aquaoceans.com
I have this system on my smaller 72g FOWLR and DO NOT have to do frequent water changes just like the company advertises. Check out the web site. Good Luck

surferboy

I would forget the canister filter and go with an AMT hang on filter if not using a sump. Canister filters are just big garbage collectors and they loose the flow rate very easily when they get dirty. The AMT "advanced marine technology" filter has high water flow and was made specifically for saltwater tanks. You have to have a sand substrate for this system since it pushes the water around and all the excess junk on the sand like food get sucked up in to the lift tubes. Read about this filter on aquaoceans.com
I have this system on my smaller 72g FOWLR and DO NOT have to do frequent water changes just like the company advertises. Check out the web site. Good Luck

charvel

I havent had a problem with my fluval 304 & 404 I have the 304 on a 44 gal fish only tank 1 urchin,cleaner shrimp,clown,hermits,wrass,firefish,damseland three feather dusters,It's my first salt water tank I have had it for three months,also I have 35lbs.LR.also. I don't have a protein skimmer Just the fluval and so far my trites are at 0ppm.I wanted a canister because I wanted to push the tank up against the wall. As far as no protein skimmer I am just trying to have less mechanical stuff in there (if I can) it looks more natural.