what is this? (2 things)

5.0stang

okay first is this white-tube looking algae stuff, does anyone know what exactly it is and how to get rid of it? it started about 3 weeks ago and is just spreading like crazy.

then theres this green bubble thing, i tried popping it but its no soft like i thought, its hard.. theres only one, but does anyone know what it is how to get rid of it or if it will spread fast?

reefkprz

the white stuff is (I believe) a type of sponge there are so many types its impossible to know them all. Its really cool looking I have one with a similar growth pattern but not as uniform. If you want to kill it just pull your rock out of the water for a few minutes most sponges are really sensitave to air, scrape off as much as you can rinse it in a buket of tank water and that should kill it. just know that sponges are harmless filter feeders. Its a shame you want to kill it. I wish I could take it off your hands, sponges are one of my favorite things.
the green bubble is bubble algae, dont pop it it will spread faster if you do. emerald crabs are known to eat it sometimes.

whitey_028

The first one have no clue but the second one is bubble algea...It will spread all over your tank like a disease if popped. You can carefully remove it without popping it or a green emerald crab could have lunch with it.

5.0stang

thanks for the info., and the only reason i wanted to get rid of the white stuff is beacause i wasnt sure what it was and if it was bad or not, but now that i know its harmless im just gonna leave it. Now im gonna go try and get rid of that bubble algae