What is this Algae?

timsedwards

Hi Guys,
Been having this algae in my tank for the past couple of weeks, it doesnt particularly settle on the sand bed, but gest caught/attaches itself to macro algae sticking out of my LR and occasionally to the glass. Any ideas what it is and how to get rid of it?
Thanks!
Tim.

wrassecal

Oh Tim, say it ain't so:eek: Not bryopsis in your tank.....I always seem to get the same as you the next week....I do have a nice patch of cyano growing in front of a powerhead. Why does everyone say increase circulation? My cyano seems to always show up in high flow areas.

wrassecal

Originally posted by Mr Enigma
Grab a turkey baster and blast the cyno - you'll soon see why people say increase circulation.

I did clean it off today with a toothbrush. The powerhead blowing on it was so strong it was even blowing under it making it have sort of a parachute look - go figure.

hirock

OK, short and to the point:
Cyanobacteria have Heterocysts (anaerobic factories for nitrogen fixation) and these are the specialized cells of nitrogen that convert diatomic atmospheric nitrogen (N2) into biologically available forms, nitrate and nitrite. Nitrate (NO3) & Nitrite (NO2) are nitrogen-oxygen chemical units which combines with various organic and inorganic compounds. When starved for nitrogen, specialized cells called Heterocysts, which differentiate, from the photosynthetic vegetative cells form at regular intervals along each filament strand. This process helps the bacteria to survive.
Side note:
Many strains of cyanobacteria produce potent toxins that can harm fish, livestock, pets, and humans. Certain strains of cyanobacteria produce the following toxins: Microcystins, Nodularin, Anatoxins, Saxitoxins, Cylindrospermopsins, Lyngbiatoxin-a, Aplysiatoxins, and Lipopolysaccharides (LPS). Although some toxins appear to be confined to specific forms of cyanobacteria.
Cyanobacteria are formed due to slow-flowing, warm, nutrient-rich waters. Proper exportation through skimming, nutrient depletion (waste removal), quick or rapid water movement & dropping water temperature (76-78 degrees) may aid in unwanted blooms. Lighting also plays a key role in vegetative photosynthesis. IMHO, limiting your illumination of the system is a band-aid and only a temporary fix to the bigger problem. Who wants to look at a black box with water? Not to mention if you have light-loving life forms in the system, you'll be starving the symbiotic zooxanthellae from the tissues of corals/polyps. Hence, bleaching.
Not a plug but...
Red Slime Remover is very useful in treating an infected system with cyanobacteria. Although ingredients are voided from packaging, I have experimented with a few different antibiotics. Cephalosporin antibiotics (ie Keflex, Keftab or Cephalexin, the First Generation Cephalosporins) have the ability to destroy gram-positve bacteria and a few gram-negative varieties. IME, these antibiotics work well in the marine aquarium, without stress to other life forms. 1 - 500 mg capsule opened/dissolved/mixed in a glass of luke warm RO/DI water per 50 gallons of water, worked well for me. A second dosage may be needed to totally eliminate the problem and prevent reoccurrences. This treatment should be administered without the aid/assistance of skimming or carbon removal through mechanical filtration for at least 24 hours to be effective.
HTH a little

timsedwards

Hi Guys thanks for the help,
Buzz - no it doesnt look like that, i think i discussed what it was with Kip months and months ago and he said it was beneficial, and tangs like to eat it, cant remember what though.
Im thinking its Cyno now, and yes similar to Wrassecal, its in my high flow areas too. I really dont think it can be circulation, im just installed two more powerful powerheads, which means Ive got circulation of about (whips calculator out) of 2470 litres per hour, and thats excluding the skimmer and fluval cannister.
I use RO/DI water, but a few weeks ago replaced my ageing actinics for nice new ones, could that be a contribute?
How is the best way to get rid of it? a few weekly water changes?
Thanks guys!
Tim.

timsedwards

OK just been talking to a friend online, my actinics are brand new (just replaced) but my mains (whites) are 12 and a bit months old (they are T5's), she suggested that this could be the problem? I kinda think it could be too, any suggestions?
Thanks!
Tim.

wrassecal

Tim - I always have an "algae" problem of some kind when lighting changes happen. I definately believe it has an effect. Remember the diatom days?? Sorry didn't mean to get the people started on cyano. I thought you were trying to identify the "macro". Certainly looks like cyano on the macro though.