What is this Crab ?

slammy16

Got this tank a few weeks ago and the guy i got it from did not tell me about any crabs in the tank. I seen this sucker walkin around at feeding time he grabbed a empty hermit shell and back to his little cave. Anyone know if hes good of bad

slammy16

To me it doesnt look like any of the pics i have seen of a gorilla crab here is another picture.
He has a home in a rock on the bottom that has a big open space through the center of it and of course the rock is holding up alot of my other rocks and stuff.
As i took this he was picking stuff off that rock.

miaheatlvr

Originally Posted by slammy16
To me it doesnt look like any of the pics i have seen of a gorilla crab here is another picture.
He has a home in a rock on the bottom that has a big open space through the center of it and of course the rock is holding up alot of my other rocks and stuff.
Also his claws look very agressive as well.

msez2u

What we were told about crabs when I was doing my research was that if the claws are pointy they are bad. If they are rounded or blunt they are good. His claws look pointy and with him grabbing at the shells already I would watch him.

msez2u

look up a picture of round crab species Etisus Utilis. It is from Fiji..see if that is your crab it looks like it from the picture you gave us.

slammy16

Having trouble looking up and finding anything on round rock crab Etisus Utilis.
Here are some pics at night, He was sitting out in the open picking at the rock. Hopefully this is a good sign.

reefforbrains

Red eyes in a crab is usually a bad sign.
Not just because they might be evil but most reefsafe crabs do not have red eyes so its like a dummy proof method of ID. Yes some are ok with red eyes but usually its a bad sign so most just assign them to fuge duty for future study.

farslayer

I'd concur that the claws are a dead giveaway that he's a bad guy. If you have a fuge you can't isolate him.

spanko

so let me get this straight, rounded claws=good , pointy claws=bad. Kind of general terms I understand but is that a good identification method for crabs?