What is this??? ID Plz

pappa d

The other night after my lights turned off I wanted to check on all the inverts so i turned on just my aktinics(spelling) and there were a ton of these little bugs all over the place!
heres some pictures, does anyone know what these are? if so, any info on them would be helpful including if they're good or bad.. thanks- (by the way, do you guys like my new clowns? my avatar is my true perc. he's so tiny!)

pappa d

also.. a little off topic but what kind of algae is that on sand. i have some very nasty looking dark dark green patches of it and my inverts dont seem to be interested in it..

michaeltx

usually it caused by not enough flow excess nutrients or a spectrum shift.
if you do a search for cyno it will bring up a lot of threads about it and cures to get rid of it.
Mike

pappa d

ahh, then i'm almost posative that its from lack of flow. i only have one powerhead going in my 58g right now. its a really good tunzee one but still is probably nowhere near enough. i'm actually in the process of ordering two new impellers for the other maxi-jet 1200's i have. do you think that the lack of flow could also cause a lower PH because right now its at 8.0....? hm..hopefully when i get all 3 powerheads goin in there its the solution to everything!!

reefkprz

excess CO2 due to low turner over and gas exchange, can cause low ph, but there is no gaurantees thats the cause, but it definatly could be a factor.

mx#28

Originally Posted by MichaelTX
copepods very benefitial.
They are close to copepods, but are actually called amphipods. They're a bit bigger and easier to see, but are still very benificial.

michaeltx

yeah it was late last night my fingers type cope while my brain said amphi LOL
still good things though.
Mike