What IS this thing?

After multiple attempts to upload this pic, I hope to have finally accomplished the nearly impossible. It is a safe bet that I'm not QUITE as skilled at this stuff as many of you...especially you, Rye! Can anyone ID this oddball snail? Just want to know if he's okay in the reef.
P.S. I posted a pic of this snail previously, but have resubmitted this better one. Any help is appreciated!

iechy

Wow that thing is awesome!! Sorry I can't be of any help though. Never seen one before. If you find out they're not harmful at all you really lucked out to get it. From the shape of the shell I would guess some type of conch maybe.GL

Any other guesses? Don't think it is a cowrie. I've looked up every snail I could think of. None of them have spiked hair except possibly one from somewhere in the pacific. This is the one that came as a hitch hiker on some uncured live rock from Gulf View.

buzz

Didn't you post on this before, and say that not even Sea World knew what it was?

Yup...sure did. I got a digital photo this time which is a better and closer shot. I thought it might help in sparking recognition from someone. I also sent this same photo, since it is decidedly better than the other one I posted, back to Sea World and also to some marine biologists on the east coast who are studying snails. It's not a big deal really, just wondered what it was and if it is okay in my reef. Actually it is sorta fun and educational to surf through so many different sites looking at what is posted to see if I can find a likeness to Hairy.
Do you have any idea what it might be?

Hey, you're right! It DOES resemble the picture in the upper left corner. Wonder if it is related to that guy? The region is wrong, but maybe the murex has a close relative that resides in the Gulf! Thanks for the link!

mystery wrasse

Wow! That thing is COOL looking:eek:
I've been diving many times but have never seen a snail quite like that one! I live in California and would GLADLY pay shipping expenses if you would be willing to part with that snail. Are you thinking about selling it? If so, how much? What have you been feeding it?

Thanks!
Nope...not for sale!:) I sorta like this little hairy dude! I don't have a clue what he/she is eating. Hopefully, nothing I want!:D You mentioned diving. This thing came out of the gulf, so maybe if you have any dive trips there, you'll find another just like it!
Where in California are you? I used to live in Napa. I hope to make a trip back there over the winter to visit if I can find someone to take care of my reef and other assorted critters.

bdhough

Is that a hitchhicker or you got it off of a dive trip?
I believe thats the coolest snail ive ever seen.....

Is that a hitchhicker or you got it off of a dive trip?
It is a hitchhiker. I would drown if I tried to scubadive! I tried snorkeling once when we were in the Cayman's and ended up swallowing large amounts of sea water before I gave up. Once I took all those contraptions off, I could swim freely and enjoy the stingrays! A diver I am not! ;)

ophiura

One potential reason that it can take some time to identify these guys is that a lot of gastropod taxonomy is based on shell morphology and not the actual body of the animal. So, it may seem like it should be really obvious, and it may be, but not necessarily because of the spotted body.
The "Hair" is called the periostracum. There are other species with this, but it still may be diagnostic.
Keep in mind though that some families of snails may feed on other mollusks, so snails and clams could be at risk.
It is also important to know this: that you saw it arrive on the Gulf View rock and/or have no Pacific rock in the tank.
If you would like, I know the malacologist at the museum here in Houston. I can forward that pic if you would like. From the side, it is difficult to tell, but I think it might be some sort of hairy triton, like
Cymatium parthenopeum parthenopeum

from: http://www.gastropods.com/p/Shell_Cy...thenopeum.html
What do you think? (keeping in mind these are shells only, dry, and some are cleaned so the periostracum is gone).
Supposedly it is found in all tropical seas. But I am still doing so searching! Any chance for a shot from the top or bottom of the animal?

jonthefb

you go ophi!! that is definatley a sweet snail, and if it does turn otu to be bad, just set up a species tank for it, a little 5 or 2.5 gallon!
good luck
jon

Oh my GOSH!!!!!! THAT'S IT!!!!!
Thank you so much for finding it! Please let me know if you're able to find any more info about it! I knew there was the hairy tritin lurking in the pacific, but I have no pacific rock in my reef. It has all come uncured from the Gulf of Mexico through gulf_view.com.
A little concerning to me is the incredible growth rate of this thing. It has gone from a tiny 1/2" long critter to well over 3" now in just a few months time. I haven't noticed anything dead in the reef, but moved him to my new FOWLR just in case. He seems to be content in there, but I sure don't want him to starve to death. If you are able to figure out what this critter eats, I'll see that he gets it or share him with someone who can. I'm hoping he has been feeding on left overs, but whatever it is, he's growing well with it. Do you have any idea how large this fella will get?
Thanks so much for your help!! It is much appreciated!
The only thing I have noticed is that the hairs on the pic you posted are black and the hairs on mine are light color. Body is very similar though. Shell a little lighter on mine, but no doubt just different pics of the same snail or family of snails!