What is this zoa in picture? They annoy me, can I cut them?

reeferchief

I bought this coral rock with a mixed colony of zoas. It has been growing super fast under my new light and lately these ugly grey larger looking zoa's are over powering the rock. They are pictured below. How can I stop them from growing? I am afraid they are going to over take the other nicer smaller looking zoas. I don't like how large they are getting. If they were on another rock in their own colony I'd be ok with it, but not on a nice zoa rock..

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o98/rrod234/za.jpg

meowzer

I am guessing you are talking about the brown palys...LOL....You can kill them like you would kill aptasia....either place a drop of joe's juice on the mouth
or you could use your own mix of pickling lime and water
IF you cut them, they will grow back from what was left on the rock...LOL....I have tried that :)

reeferchief

brown palys? I hate them.. they are like a weed and grow very fast...I have another frag that has one on it.. :(
What is pickling lime? Also will killing one kill the whole colony vein of browns or do I have to do each one individual?

meowzer

You buy it in the canning section of a grocery store or Walmart....pretty cheap..and easy to use
You have to kill each polyp....just put a drop in the center..it will eat it causing it to die

reeferchief

Cool thanks for the info. So I'll go buy pickling lime and just mix with RO water. This is safe with coral and other fish I am assuming.
Army palys is a great name for them!!

meowzer

I try not to use too much at once....AND if you get it on another zoa....yes....it will kill it....LOL
as far as anything else in the tank....I have had no issues

teresaq

those arent really brown polyps. They have a name like camo and are rather nice when they cover a rock.
You can try peeling them off the rock and glueing them to another rock. People accually buy that color morph.

1guydude

yep ive got em with a nice bright green mouth and another morph that is darker and more green, they "camo" effect on both is rather nice! Im thinkin of calling my other morph something like green jaguars or somethin! My army palys are in the same mix as urs...the eagle eyes and the atomic greens!
I got rid of most of em cause they were blockin the light of the other zoos!

reeferchief

That's my problem. It went from 2-3 to like 10-15 in just over a month and they have got big. They hog all the light. I wouldn't mind keeping them but they need to be separate, not on a nice colorful zoo colony.