What is this?

jzuse

I found this anemone for sale on the net, it says that this is natural color, they also say that it comes from Japan and that the color is even brighter that in the pic. They also mention that it doesn't host clownfish and is about 3" in size. Could this be dyed? Or is this even real?
Has anyone actually seen something like this? ***) The pic was taken under one 50/50 VHO light bulb.

thegrog

Personally, I think it looks dyed. Perhaps someone who knows a little more will say different, but I don't know of any anemones that have that color naturally.

T

thomas712

Its either dyed or one of the Cnidopus japonicus anemones, but then my research doesn't really dwell on that type. so ~

Thomas

phender

I can't take credit for this research. This discussion has taken place on another board.
Their genus name is Halcurias. They are deep water anemones from around Japan and they are not dyed.
Some people are reporting that they are eating mysis shrimp in their tanks. Long term success is not known, however, my guess is that being from deep water, the temps in tropical tanks may be too high for them in the long run.
Here is a pic of some in the wild:

T

thomas712

Good job phender ~ closest I could come up with is what they are calling Cnidopus japonicus. I've seen photo's of a few different color morphs. This one was from the Kamchatka area.