what is this???

chris0799

a couple hours after i put mi rocks in i noticed some coral like things coming out. its like a little coral with tenticals swaying everywere. does anyone kno what this is and what should i do?

deejeff442

not good looks like aptasia
it will spread fast if not dealt with .
i always liked to get a few peppermint shrimp to eat them
but there are a few other ways to kill them
shooting them with joes juice,calcium ,or i have heard boiling water
use a syringe needle like a turkey injector.
dont try to scrape them as they will multiply faster

chris0799

but wont that kill everything one the rock? would i be able to put it back in the tank right after bc i only have 1 heater 1 powerhead and i dont have the equipment to cure anything.

deejeff442

just inject the boiling water with the syringe into the center of the aptasia
trust me that stuff spreads very fast.

alyssia

Originally Posted by chris0799
http:///forum/post/2886271
but wont that kill everything one the rock? would i be able to put it back in the tank right after bc i only have 1 heater 1 powerhead and i dont have the equipment to cure anything.
You don't have to take the rock out. Use a syringe to "feed" the boiling water to the aiptasia, or if you get Joe's Juice it comes with a syringe. Some people use lemon juice too.

spanko

http:///forum/post/2886285
ok. but what willl happen if i let it grow tho. im not going to but i just wanna kno what would happen.
It will spread quickly and they will be everywhere then you will have a real problem getting rid of them all. Get them while there are a few. They have potent stings and will kill coral and other things in the tank. Bad stuff.

chris0799

they r very small tho. i tried getting them with a serynge but they go in a little hole and i cantget them. they r too small to stick them with a serynge. omg what to doooo?

deejeff442

get a couple peppermint shrimp they eat them up like candy
if you leave them you will have a hundred in a month ,yea they spread that fast

ninjamini

Get a peppermint shrimp. They will eat the small ones.
For any big ones:
Take some calcium and make a paste. Cover the aiptasia with the paste. Be ready with an air-tube a bucket and some fresh saltwater. First turn off all the flow in the tank. After you put the paste on the aspasia it will go everywhere. Use the tube to create a syphon and suck it up. Add fresh salt water to replace what was syphoned off. Depending how bad they spread you may need to do this several times.
Good luck.

chris0799

well how will i kno? im getting some peppermint shrimp today. should i get like 3 to garentee that one will eat it?

alyssia

http:///forum/post/2887123
well how will i kno? im getting some peppermint shrimp today. should i get like 3 to garentee that one will eat it?
It is only pepps from a certain locale, but I'm not sure where. I'm sure you could find it if you do a search on here.

pbnj

Here's what I've done successfully to remove aiptasia.
1) Remove the LR/coral that is infected.
2) Scrape off the aiptasia with a sharp, pointy tool.
3) Take a Q-tip, dip the tip in some lime juice (like the one that comes in those lime-shaped containers), and dab it on the area to kill off any remaining pieces (i.e., the foot).
4) Dunk the LR/coral in a bucket of tank water to remove any excess lime juice.
5) Retun the LR/coral to the tank.
Never had to kill one in the tank, so I don't have any recommendations for that.