What is this?

subielover

What is this thing?

It's tentacles are clear with little white tips. It looks like some type of anemone or something to me. Thoughts?

subielover

What should I do with it? I have read that it can grow to 10 cm, which is pretty big in my small tank.

bang guy

Really? I thought only Corynactis get that big. It may get up to 1" perhaps, very few get larger than that.

subielover

Hmm, that is what a quick search on google said. Should I nuc it like I would aiptasia? I really wasn't able to find all that much out about it.

subielover

Found this too...
Pseudocorynactis
Pseudocorynactis spp. are like Corynactis but are much larger (to about six inches (15 cm) diameter, and usually not colonial. They also reproduce by fission, but it is unusual to find more than about six clones together as a group. The so-called orange ball anemones that can be observed on coral reefs at night are Pseudocorynactis spp. The column varies in color from cryptic shades of brown to orange, red and magenta. The tips of the tentacles are commonly bright orange, but they can also be white. These tentacle tips are extremely sticky, like flypaper, due to the presence of powerful nematocysts. This fact makes the larger species from the Indo Pacific region unsuitable for aquariums housing fishes, which they readily capture. They also can catch mobile invertebrates such as shrimps and snails, and sometimes "attack" sessile invertebrates growing on adjacent rocks, enveloping them in the gastric cavity through a widely opened mouth. Pseudocorynactis spp. can be fed daily, but only require twice weekly feeding to keep them healthy. If they are not fed frequently enough, they shrink. There is a marked behavioral difference between the common Caribbean and Indo-Pacific species.
The Caribbean species, Pseudocorynactis caribbaeorum mainly opens its tentacles at night, and closes rapidly when it senses light. The Indo-Pacific species remains open both day and night, and is not sensitive to light. The presence of food smells (dissolved amino acids) in the water stimulates either species to open up and extend the tentacles, and the caribbean species can be trained to open in the light by feeding it during daylight hours. The mechanism for its apparent memory is not known.
Whether you have a large reef aquarium or a simple small aquarium, any of the corallimorphs can be easily maintained and enjoyed for decades.

spanko

Had mine for a while. Actually I have found about 3. Leave it alone and enjoy it. If it gets too big then you can decide on a course of action but mine are model citizens.
Nice call Bang Guy!

mx#28

Originally Posted by Bang Guy
http:///forum/post/2894803
Really? I thought only Corynactis get that big. It may get up to 1" perhaps, very few get larger than that.
There are a number of different varieties in the Pseudocorynactis genus - some of the larger ones are often called "ball anemones" or "caribbean ball anemones", etc. I've got one now that expands to about 6-8 inches and downs a large silverside easily.

bang guy

Originally Posted by MX#28
http:///forum/post/2895258
There are a number of different varieties in the Pseudocorynactis genus - some of the larger ones are often called "ball anemones" or "caribbean ball anemones", etc. I've got one now that expands to about 6-8 inches and downs a large silverside easily.

Cool, I'd love to see a picture. Is it the one with Orange balls on the tenticles?

mx#28

Originally Posted by Bang Guy
http:///forum/post/2895540
Cool, I'd love to see a picture. Is it the one with Orange balls on the tenticles?
That's the one, though the orange balls are more of a lighter brown than anything on the one I have. I've been meaning to post a few photos, I'll try to get to it soon.