what Kalkwasser mix do you use ?

dave espi

Grocery Store bought Pure Pickeling Lime.
a 1/3rd the cost of kalkwasser.. ( German for Lime Water)

hairtrigger

No kidding? I have never heard that before. I have just been adding a mix of it all with Kent CB parts A and B. Does that lime stuff really work?

danrw84

what are the benifits of kalkwasser? how do you drip it into your tank? how much do you mix up and why?
should i be using it?
29 gal reef, many corals..anemones, 40 lb LS 35 lb LR.. prizm skimmer

javatech

Originally posted by Dave ESPI
Grocery Store bought Pure Pickeling Lime.
a 1/3rd the cost of kalkwasser.. ( German for Lime Water)

i was thinking of that what's your mix lime to water and do you use anything other than that. i have some IV set up's that i will use for a drip system. do you drip or just use it in your top off water

dave espi

do a search or read the dirrections on the kalk jar.
I use the limewater this way....
glass 1 gal jar set on top of tank.
fill 1/2 way with RODI (or tank water)
add 4 table spoons lime.
cap, shake well.
let settle 4 hours or so.
using an airline tubeing, create a siphon 1/2 inch up off the bottom of the jar.
cap off the end with a plastic needle valve.
open valve to allow one drop per second drip into the tank.whensiphon is broken, discard the crap in the bottom of jar. DO NOT USE IT.
you only want the clear liquid.

bang guy

Originally posted by BigMac
Mississippi lime (food grade calcium hydroxide) about 1/50 the cost

I use Agricultural Hydrated Lime (1/100th the cost) but I would quickly switch to Mississippi Lime if I could find a source... any help???? :D
Ummm I could be wrong, but I thought Mississippi Lime was Calcium Oxide? :confused:
Guy

gregzbobo

Originally posted by Bang Guy
I use Agricultural Hydrated Lime (1/100th the cost) but I would quickly switch to Mississippi Lime if I could find a source... any help???? :D

Any food grade pickeling lime would work. I bought a 16 oz can for a buck and a half at wal-mart. It hasn't got quite as much calcium in it, so I use almost half again as much for dosing, but its so cheap I don't mind.

finland

Walmart sells "Ball's Pickling Lime". A number of people use this product. I mix about 2 tablespoon in R/O water in a gallon milk carton, use airline tubing pinched off with a clothes pin, so it drips one drop per second. Don't stick the line all the way to the bottom, only siphon the clear liquid. Works good for me.

gregzbobo

Thats the kind I use Finland. 35% calcium compared to 50% calcium in Kents mix. Very cheap stuff. Comes in a white and green can with a pic of some jars of pickles on it.

chris l

Does anyone use Mrs. Wages pickling lime. I just went to the store and bought some. How do you know how much to add to the water. Is most pickling lime the same.

nm reef

I use Balls pickling lime....good stuff in my opinion. Most of the products mix about the same.....amount used will depend on your system. For me I normally top-off 2 gals per 24 hours and I mix it with 1 table spoon powder per 1 gal ro/di....then I let it sit a few hours before dripping it over night at a slow rate.
:cool:

maxi

If you are using pickling lime for buffering your calcium, what are you using to buffer your alk? I use the 2 part B-ionic now, but I would love to find something cheaper.:confused:

gregzbobo

I just got back from Wal-Mart with 2 16 oz cans of Balls pickling lime, paid 50 cents per can. Sort of an impulse buy though, I dunno how long this stuff keeps. Hopefully I'll be able to get it used before it goes bad.

javatech

i don't remember were i got it but if you find one you like just add it as your Avatar in user cp
it has to be max size of 50 X 50 pix.

bang guy

Originally posted by maxi
If you are using pickling lime for buffering your calcium, what are you using to buffer your alk? I use the 2 part B-ionic now, but I would love to find something cheaper.:confused:

Hi Maxi,
I don't understand your question.
Kalk adds both Calcium and Carbonate (ALK/Buffer) just like B-Ionic.