What kind of algae plant is this?

lil.guppy

I just bought 2 bundles of this algae plant. Its got red on the base color and the middle/ends are green. Its like long uncut lawn grass. I LOVE it because its so pretty flowing in the tank, but I forgot what its called.

spanko

(Penicillus sp.) Shaving Brush Plant????
Hard to tell without a picture.

Or
(Chlorodesmis sp.)
Maidens Hair

spanko

Looks like Maidens hair. Is pretty invasive and I think most people use it in their refugiums, not in their display. Let's get some more thoughts from others.

lil.guppy

Im mainly using it to keep my fox face fed because he started nipping at my zoanthids the other day and those algae sheets are too messy. Its also a good spot filler.
I hope its ok to keep in the main tank.....

lil.guppy

I just read that maidens hair has toxic stuff so fish wont eat it, but the fox face has been nibbling on it just fine.

spanko

Originally Posted by lil.guppy
http:///forum/post/2945355
I just read that maidens hair has toxic stuff so fish wont eat it, but the fox face has been nibbling on it just fine.
Yeah they say the same thing about Caulerpa. My Foxface devours Caulerpa.

lil.guppy

So is it ok that I keep it snug between the rock or does it need the base buried in the sand bed?

spanko

If your foxface is anything like mine it is not gonna matter in a day or two anyway. Did it come attached to a pc. of live rock?

lil.guppy

No they were wrapped up in rubber bands and just thrown in a tank with live rocks.
I called and they said they are listed as algae plants but have no name.
Their freshwater plants are potted and placed in the sand, so I guess these will be ok snugged in the rocks since they did not have them in pots or burried.
I really wish I knew what it was

spanko

Oh I am fairly sure it is Maidens Hair. Not to worry, just keep an eye on it and enjoy it for now.

florida joe

Chlorodesmis is a green filamentous algae whose appearance is similar to thin blades of grass or tufts of hair. Its common names include Maiden's Hair Plant and Turtle Grass. It contains a toxic substance which deters herbivorous fish from eating it.
Provide the Maiden's Hair plant with a moderate to strong water current and lighting. These plants are a breeding ground for beneficial crustaceans like amphipods and copepods. This species is sensitive to high levels of nitrates and any detectable levels of copper.

lionlord

lol can i buy your foxface? my 75g show tank is being over taken by the stuff. i have lost a tone of zoos and am pulling out almost a 2 pounds of the stuff a month. what kind of fox face you have is it a fuji or a reguler?

lionlord

that spices has been outlawed. the toxic form looks more like a furn. and calarpa isent my problum it is madien's hair.

lionlord

it kinda sucks but is also a good thing. alot of the ones that have been outlawed are some of the best plants for a refuge. but in the wrong hands can cost millions to git ride of in the wiald and destroy alot.