What kind of blennie is this?

R

robxb

Anyone know what kind of blennie or gobie this us? Or any other info about it at all? It's at my local LFS and he's only $12.00 but I can't seem to find any info on him. They are calling it a Red Scooter Blennie, but he doesn't look like one to me, plus he is eating just about anything they put in, even flakes. I just want to make sure it's not aggressive before I purchase him.
Thanks,
Rob

N

nereef

yep, it's a sand perch. one of my favorite fish. they can hold their own, but aren't outwardly territorial.

R

robxb

Hummmm, I just googles "sandperch" Not sure that is what he is either. He is not a Scooter Blennie, I'm almost positive on that. He looks more like a Sand Perch then a blennie, however he does have lips more like a blennie and not a sand perch.

N

nereef

there's no guessing to it. it's a red sandperch, family Pinguipedidae, this site even sells them. google Parapercis, it's the genus.

krzysztof

( Parapercis schauinslandi) Schauinsland 's Sand Perch or Redspotted Sand Perch or Red Grubfish . Different name but it's the same fish

R

robxb

Yeah I believe now that I look up the scientific name, that is what it is! Cool. I still can't find much info on them about captivity. How big do they get? What do they eat? Any other special care they need?

krzysztof

Maximum Length 5.1 in.
Meaty foods,including frozen prepared foods,and live foods.
Larger specimens may attack smaller ornamental shrimps.