What kind of butterfly is this?

aquaknight

Blue-Spot Butterflyfish -- Chaetodon plebeius
I honestly dunno how a setup could honestly get worse than that one. The tiny size is one thing, but more importantly is the zero live rock the butterfly can pick from. Very few Butterflies take to feeding right off the bat. They need will established systems that they can pick/eat from. Blue-Spots are among the worst Butterflies to purchase with almost all dying in captivity.
As this guy is a small juvi, who will would need fed often, sadly, the best thing to come out of this, is he will probably starve is 2-3days and his miserable life will be over shortly...

mantisman51

There was no algae growth of any kind, I doubt the tank was even cycled. Looks like shiny, new plastic. I wonder if the guy even used saltwater. Terrible.

auroradrvr

Aside from the entire setup being completely wrong. That's actually a Flagfin Angelfish! It gets to a foot long.
I strongly urge you to return the fish.

pkc

I had a semcirculatus for ten years from a thumb nail size to full adult colour at four and a half inches in a similar sized tank,i had four small tanks.
I wouldn't have a clue who has it now,i swaped it years ago,it got to big,they may have killed it,who knows,i hope not.
I realise that most marine tank inhabitants may end up belly up or in a belly eventualy,whether it be in 1 months time or 15 years time.
Thats why shops are able to sell fish,because they don't allways do well,infact most don't that are sold,no matter what some people do!
If you give it a spot to hide and feed it what it needs,as with my over sized
fish,they can do very well and you should try to give them the best chance at life if possible.
Infact in a small near to no invert tank(that can be called a quarantine tank) you can treat a parrasitic attack far better than in a reef tank.
If the owner looks after the fish the best he can with what he is able to fit or afford,than why not give it a go.
It looks like one of our species of butterflies we see regularly,i realise it is a young angel fish!
keep the curamine or similar handy just in case,small tanks can be a bit of stress to a fish.
Cute fish mate!

truefishman

could it be an eclipse?i know that the eclipse' butterfly has a vertical white band running through the eye but it looks somewhat smaller so it cold be a juvi.besides my guess of an eclipse i have no idea.

T

tizzo

Originally Posted by locoyo386
http:///forum/post/3090460
Thank you all, the one I got turned out to be an angel (falgfin).

Is that your own video?? The op of the video says it's going into a 20 long...
I will be the first in line to post that that is not a large enough tank for that fish.

aquaknight

Originally Posted by crypt keeper
http:///forum/post/3091133
that angel is gorgeous. Are they hard to care for?
Flagfin's are like Singapore angels, probably a reason they're only usually $35-$50 (bad collection practices). Apolemichthys on a whole are probably a bit more disease prone then typical angels. Err, more accurately would be that the effects of diseases take a harder toll on them then other angels. Goldflakes are pretty notorious for going belly-up within a short time span. Apolemichthys
angels are also some of the more active angels. They buzz around the tank all day.

crypt keeper

i had bad luck with my singapore. Think its worth a shot? Are any MAC caught? I think that is the certification classification representation. You know that. LOL.

aquaknight

Originally Posted by crypt keeper
http:///forum/post/3091468
i had bad luck with my singapore. Think its worth a shot? Are any MAC caught? I think that is the certification classification representation. You know that. LOL.
Yep, there are Flagfins listed on the MAC cert. list. As to how many there are, vs. non, fewer then more I'd say. As to where to get one, contact the online retailer or LFS. Usually the better the store, the more MAC stuff they carry. And as usual you get what you paid for. There aren't going be MAC Flagfin for $39.99...
Worth it? You bet IMO. I was set on a Flagfin or Goldflake, if I could swing it, as my 2nd angel, till I found the little Rock Beauty at the LFS. Standard angel purchasing tips would apply; look for one that's alert, know's you're looking at him, picks at food, there's no marks on his belly, and he's not skinny. Check the eyes and fins for flukes, and I would either perform a Prazi-Pro dip or a treatment of Prazi in QT (which ever you're more comfortable with) as soon as he goes into QT, regardless if he shows signs. I would wait for treating copper/hypo for the other diseases, though that's a personal choice.
More info on the whole 'MAC certification'; http://www.aquariumcouncil.org/Produ...es.aspx?tab=p1