What kind of crabs are these??

carolyn

Hi--
I have had my 80 tank set up for over 2 years now. During this time I have bought live rock at differing times, but the last time was over a year ago.
Last night I saw something moving within a hole in the side of one of the larger rocks, much to my surprise. This crab has been living & growing & I guess very happy without me knowing about him/her!
I am curious if any of you would have any idea what kind of crab this might be? is it a good crab? or should I get rid of it??
It appears to be almost shy..I have NEVER seen it outside of the hole.
Also, it is pretty well camouflaged in there but it appears to be a grayish-brown. It moves around pretty slowly, so it's definatly alive.
I'd appreciate any help or ideas you guys might have. I'm pretty surprised by this!!
Carolyn

jackdp

A picture or a better description would be helpful...there's lots of crabs that could come from live rock...be graysih-brown..and move slowly how big is it...what shape are its claws...what do the ends of its claws look like..sharp or flat? :D

killafins

I tend to agree with Mr. Jack, alot of crabs fit that discription... Try to remove its hiding spot (if at all possible) or feed it food to make it come out or even better... turn off all your lights at seven... i mean room, tank, tv, nething and at ten go look at ur tank with a flashlight and tell us the discription. You might be able to tell yourself what it is when u get a gud look. ;-)