what kind of protein skimmer should i get?

a&m aggie 04'

how much are you looking to spend. You can spend 400+ for top of the line or get a nice skimmer for around 200. I use a berlin turbo, rated for up to 250 gallons and around $200. It really depends on what you want to spend.
HTH,
Mark

well i am using a SEA CLONE 100. I have a 80 gallon tank and the skimmer is about 80.00 at petsmart.
it bubbles a bit for the first 4-5 days but after that it is seeming to run just fine and is pretty quite. good luck finding one you like

calvindo

i'm stuck in the same situation... I have a 125G tank and need to decide on which skimmer to get. Is the $400+ skimmer that much better then the less expensive venturi and berlin?
thank you
Calvin

I know most people prefer a in sump skimmer, if you can`t go that route then you have to go with a hang on the back unit. I use the hang-on Remora skimmer with a prefilter box it is rated for up to 75 gallon. The Remora Pro is a beefier version of the Remora and it is rated up to 125, for a hang-on unit it does a very good job easy to clean and pulls tons of stuff out. The one thing I`ve learned is to buy the best you can afford, because if you do like I did and buy a cheap skimmer to start out with(mine was the prizm hangon) you will get cheap results. Now my prizm skimmer sits in a closet collecting dust, anyone need a skimmer?:rolleyes:

redawg

i have a berlin with a mag 7 upgrade and i wish i woulda got something better.. 125 gal with 20gal sump and 20 gal fug..

calvindo

my question is... do you actually get better results, if you buy a $400 plus skimmer versus a $200 one. I just cant see much technology can go into a skimmer... it's just seem like a tube with a pump attached to it... i would understand if theres some sort of electronic monitoring device. I dont mind spending top dollars for stuff, only if it makes sense... paying $400 for a skimmer that cant do much better then a $200 one is just plain stupid.