what kind of pump for a chiller?

aaron7405

Hi there
Im buying a chiller but I need pump to runing, I will like to get a good, QUIET pump Im seting a 55g aquarium insed my livingroom. tell me some brans and models please
I advise on a pump and what other thing I will need to install it.
the chiller is this one
1/10 HP (Mini) Current USA Prime Inline Chiller w/ Dual-Stage Thermostat
Horsepower: 1/10hp
BTU: 1485
Volts/Amps: 115V/2.15A
Flow Rate: 7-12gpm
Inlet/Outlet: 1/1in & 5/8in
Temp. Range: 60-80°F
Thermostat Type: Dual
w/ Thermal Expansion Valve: No
Dimensions: 10in x 11in x 14in

reefforbrains

This is going to sound like an odd piece of advise but if buying the chiller new,then I would suggest a larger chiller, this way you wont have to buy a larger one later when you upgrade tanks or expand a sump.A 1/10th is pretty small. 1/10th really is pushing to capacity on a 55 with a decent sump. With a larger unit you can always leave yourself more room to grow and the price is a bit more but not compared to buying two.
I like the controls on the prime units but I just think you might regret a 1/10th IMO
For pumps, Almost anything small that is under the stand should be silent. Makes a huge difference to insulate yuor stand with eggcrate too.

aaron7405

great advise about the eggcrete. but let put it this way, if the chiller where yours what pump would you install it? I want it to run Dry mode.
About the tank size. I think is goint to pass some years before I upgrade to a bigger tank. and for now this suit my needs but I am totally agree with your advise too.
Thank you

sleasia

some chillers have some restrictions on how large a pump to use...too much pressure (big pumps) can eventually mess up the chiller. right now I have a simple set up...a pacific coast 650? with a mag 9.5 pump in the sump running to the chiller and from the chiller running back to a different area of the sump. works fine. previously I had it inline with my main filter pump. but this pump was really too strong for it since
it had 45 ft of head.

aaron7405

thank you sleasia I went for a Iwaki MD20RLXT Water Pump (Japanese Motor), I haven´t install anything yet, I just set it upt the tank and buying all than I will need.
I was goint to put in online with my canaster filter (fluval 405), but I thought the pomp was too strong for it too.
Im looking for a skimmer right now any ideas??? I was taking a look at the Aqua C remora pro mag3 pump but I think the filter box it too big for the tank. (10.34" x 8" x 4.25"), so im looking a better option
so all the ideas will be great!!!

sleasia

I use asm-g on both my tanks...the 200gallon has an asm-g 4x and the 150? 180? has an asm-g 3x. I love these skimmers....(of course the only other experience I have had with skimmers is with the berlin airlift 60...which isn't a skimmer at all I have now learned)