What lights to get

deton8it

OK here is my dilemma, I am going to upgrade my lights from a single 150w MH fixture to something else. The question is do I buy a 6x54w T5 or a 2x250w MH? I'm thinking a new ATI sunpower for the T5 option. The MH fixture is a used (but in great condition) 48" Coralife for $300. I have a 90 gal that is primarily softies w/ a few LPS. The wife wants an anemone and a clam but I don't think I'll buy a clam. Any suggestions?
John

snakeblitz33

I think that a 90g would be ok with two 14k 150w metal halides, as long as the bulbs are Radiums. If you want to go with more, go with two 250w metal halides with Radium bulbs. If you are looking for high light coral and inverts, you should probably think about supplementing with T5s.
I know a website right now that has a "convertible" metal halide ballast (150w to 250w) for $113.95) The Radium bulbs would be about $80 each. Of course, you would need one more reflector and socket set - should only be $50 or so for that, depending on the type of reflector you get.
A lot of the ability of a metal halide has to do with two things: The quality and spectrum of the bulb you are using and the reflector you are using the bulb with.
I really like T5's, I think that they are pretty awesome little light fixtures. I use one myself! Although, I am starting to realize that T5 bulbs are the same as metal halide bulbs in terms of quality. Stock bulbs on T5 fixtures are good, but they aren't great. If you really want to get a full spectrum and quality T5 bulb, your going to look at spending $25 to $30 a bulb. Either way, MH or T5, you are going to be spending $$ for quality.

deton8it

To throw in another monkey wrench, what about LED's? How many would I need for a 90 gallon? I've looked up DIY LED's but I cant find how many I would need. My LFS uses DIY LED's on one of their SPS tanks but it also has 2 T5's with it.
Holly cr@p I just realized how many acronyms I used. LOL
John

snakeblitz33

W/ LED's it's WYSIWYG. 24 - 36 LED's = 250w MH PAR. 36-48 LEDs = 400w MH PAR. So, 2 LED units at 36, 3w CREE LEDs/each would be a good starter, IMHO. CW's and RB's are what most people use. There's also UV's, P&G&Reds. Depends on how deep the tank is and how intense of light you need for your SPS & LPS corals and what K you are aiming for.

acrylic51

You have several options or choices IMO......T5's would definitely support SPS, but might have to work at properly placement though. LEDs is another very good option, which would save you overall in the long run IMHO......