what next & ? about algae

groucheux

my 55 gal has been running for about 5 weeks now. Water conditions are great. Got 5 hermits & 3 snails....finding feather dusters scattered throughout the rock now. So here's the question...what next? I'm on a school teacher's budget. Do I need to get more inverts (if so what kind?), or should I add some hardy fish? Any suggestions?
2nd question...is algae bad? I think it looks kinda cool. I've got red algae, feather looking algea, bubble looking algea, green "mold" like algae. Is this a good thing or a bad thing?
thanks...grouch

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I'd suggest that you hold off a bit before acquiring new specimens. Your system is doing well, however, it is only 5 weeks old and still extremely delicate biologically. I'd wait a few more weeks. In the meantime, decide what you want---an all invert tank, or do you want to add some fish? Since you obviously have a lot of algae going, you many want to consider a vegetarian fish---like a yellow tang. A yellow tang will certainly keep the algae situation under control and be quite a beautiful [and affordable] addition to your system. If you go with adding fish, be sure to read up on whatever species you plan to get for compatiability. For instance, yellow tangs can get large, and they can be very territorial.
[This message has been edited by beth (edited 05-08-2000).]