What next???

odb

Well, Here is the story. I had to move recently from Edmonton to Calgary, so I drained all my freshwater tanks (4 of them) and decided I would try my hand at saltwater now. I have my 66 gallon set up, with only 1 hagen power-glo light (my damn hood only takes 42" bulbs), a Fluval 403 filter, 2 660 submersible powerheads, and 2 submersable heaters. I have a 3-4" bed of crushed coral, plus some aragonite sand (1-2" on one side of the tank) Temperature 79. My salinity is 1.023, ammonia 0, nitrates & nitrites 0 (of course, because there are no fish in it
) I put about 40 lbs of lava rock, and 5 lbs of live rock in yesterday. How long should I wait before putting a few small hardy fish in? I realize that I wont be able to raise very many corals with the lighting that I have now, but at this point I dont have the $$$ to change my whole lighting setup. So, Suggestions please. Also, some suggestions on which fish to put in first would be great as well. You guys are great

gabe

once you have the temp, Ph, salinity/gravity(1.023is prefct)and all your decoratoins in and your lights are on, you can add your first fish. a damsal is a good choice. You mightwant to drop the temp a degree. you should also get at least two lights for a fish only tank, preferably three.

W

wrassefan

Since you have liverock, I would wait until the cycle is over (4-6 weeks) and all your readings should be zero (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate). I don't know if you will have alot of die off from the live rock though, because the lighting is so low. I wouldn't risk putting in fish. If you must, damsels are the only ones I think that will survive a cycle.

fishgirl

Many years ago when I was really dumb about this hobby I didn't even have test kits, and all of a sudden, my tank decided to start re-cycling itself. By the time I got a test kit, ammonia was at it's peak, I had no QT, and my tang and one of the damsels was sick. The only fish that surrvied the whole thing was my beautiful 6" Piccasso trigger. No one can tell ME they're lass hardy than damels -- but do one thing for me -- never do that to a poor trigger, they're to cool to force to cycle a tank! And for that matter, don't do it to a damsel either. Let the live rock do all the work. I wish someone would found a Don't Abouse The Damsels Society
hehehehehehehe! Oh well, I know alot of people won't listen to me, but that's how I feel about ALL animals. (well, I admit I find it hard to love mosquitos!)

kris

Good One fishgirl---although I think I would only consider it cruel to do that (cycle) to a fish I didn't think would survive it.