what other corals can go with sps?

dunhawk

so I have a 125 gallon reef tank with metal halides. Started my tank with lps and zoos but now have been moving over to sps more. What corals should not be in an sps tank? I know sps should be by themselves but I am limited because of what I already have. I heard once leathers should not be in an sps tank but have no idea if that is true. I can move a few things out since I am getting a nano cube. So are there any corals that are absolute no no's to put with sps especially acropora? thanks for the help.

speg

Some leathers have a lot of toxins in them that can be released and this is why they can hurt sps.
sps (in my opinion) are a much more delicate coral. Most don't seem to offer much protection/defense for themselves when it comes to other coral and that must be kept in mind when you house them with lps/softies.
I would say that you can put them with other coral, but just be careful. My montipora got stung a few times by my frogspawn and the next day I noticed large white dots wherever it got stung. The montiporas defense is that it has repaired those spots in less than a week and continues to grow.

flower

Originally Posted by Speg
http:///forum/post/3284557
Some leathers have a lot of toxins in them that can be released and this is why they can hurt sps.
sps (in my opinion) are a much more delicate coral. Most don't seem to offer much protection/defense for themselves when it comes to other coral and that must be kept in mind when you house them with lps/softies.
I would say that you can put them with other coral, but just be careful. My montipora got stung a few times by my frogspawn and the next day I noticed large white dots wherever it got stung. The montiporas defense is that it has repaired those spots in less than a week and continues to grow.

Will keeping up on running carbon help at all?

speg

I believe that running carbon should help with the toxins released by leathers.

nycbob

why dont make a list of corals u currently have? most corals r fine with sps as long as space is provided.

dunhawk

I have frogspawn, a yellow fiji leather, acans, lots of small zoo colonies, ricordeas, candy cane, brain (lobo & favites), anenome ( I know now a coral but wondering anyway, and a flowerpot. I have had monti in therefor a while doing fine and growing. I heard zoos release a lot of toxins which worry me but I have some ability to move stuff so just wondering.

speg

Zoas release toxins when they're punctured or cut. The yellow fiji leather can release toxins when stressed and these toxins is what can hurt other corals. In nature it wouldn't be such a big deal, but in a closed tank it is "bad news bears".
The frogspawn will add a lot of white to any sps it touches so make sure it stays away. They have the ability of knowing where other coral is in the tank and will extend long sweeper tentacles that could potentially wipe out a sps colony growing nearby.
The anemone would certainly be a pain with sps since they can move and sting sps.
I wouldn't worry much about the others.
Advice from someone who's been there: if you ever try to cut or frag the yellow fiji just make sure that it's outside of the tank and you let both frag and mother colony sit in some seperate salt water before putting them back into your display...

dunhawk

thanks for the help first of all. Is the fiji leather somethign to worry about if I am not fragging it. I have a good protein skimmer but I really do not want to take chances. My BTA stays in place so no worries there. Frogspawn is distant from sps but I will keep that in mind as it grows.