What other tang will get along with a yellow tang

I wanted to add a second tang to my tank. I have a yellow tang now. I was just wondering what would get along the best together and which would be the hardiest? Thanks:rolleyes:

carrie1429

That all depends on the size of your tank. It is usually better to either get 1, 3, or 5 tangs. They will do better in threes but only if you have space, what size tank do you have? Most tangs are not hardy and can get diseases easily, no tang really is "hardy".

dpittman

Depends on the size of your tank - if it is big enough your best bet would be something in a different family such as an acanthurus or naso species...

fishyone

Ihave a yellow tang and what the LFS calls a yellow tailed blue tang not sure if that is the real name or not. They seem to get along very well and the yellow actually seems to be sort of protective of the blue.

fishyone

just checked this site to see if I could further ID the blue tang. I think it must be a blue hippo tang as they look identical.

Thanks for the advise. I should say that I have a reef tank so I am looking for reef safe fish. Should I worrie about the size of the tang that I buy? Should I stick with one the same size?

B

bobby & kari

do not put a purple tang in there they will fight bad

I didnt post what size tank I had because I didnt want to rock the boat and cause a big disagreement. I have a 75 gallon. I am not dead set on putting another tang in there I am looking at options though. I want a nice fish but I cant seem to find what I am looking for. I like the fish I have but I am looking for something new. I want something that will swin arounnd a little more then someof the fish I have. Any other thoughts? I have a yellow tang, a gold bar maroon clown, a scooter blenny, a mandarin goby, a strawberry basslet, and a orange spot goby. I was thinking I had room for a bigger fish yet. Thanks:D

B

bobby & kari

WE HAVE A KORAN ANGLE IN OUR TANK SHE IS SO TAME AND BEAUTIFUL VERY ACTIVE

shadow678

Yellow tangs are one of the most aggressive and territorial tangs, and introducing another tang into the tank after the yellow has had a chance to claim dominance over the tank would likely be disastrous, as the yellow tang would likely kill the new introduction. As far as tank size goes, the yellow tang is fine in your 75. Many people say a 55 is fine, but most will agree that 75 is sufficient, although another large fish would likely overload your tank unless extra measures were taken. HTH

B

bobby & kari

I GOT A YELLOW TANG IN MY TANK AND MY TANG DOES NOT MESS WITH MY ANGLES RULE OF THUMB IS TAKE YOUR TANK SIZE AND DIVIDE IT BY THREE AND THAT IS HOW MANY INCHES OF FISH YOU ARE ALLOWED