What shrimp compatible with Valentini puffer?

hefner413

I would like to get a cleaner shrimp - being a great addition to any tank, but have read on swf.com that the valentini may likely eat a cleaner shrimp. It already picks at my mexican snails, choc chip star and brittle star but does not seem to actually hurt them so far. The puffer is about 1.5 inches. Could I get a large cleaner or will he try to go for any size? Thanks

lion_crazz

Originally Posted by Hefner413
I would like to get a cleaner shrimp - being a great addition to any tank, but have read on swf.com that the valentini may likely eat a cleaner shrimp. It already picks at my mexican snails, choc chip star and brittle star but does not seem to actually hurt them so far. The puffer is about 1.5 inches. Could I get a large cleaner or will he try to go for any size? Thanks
Usually, they will try to eat any shrimp in the tank.

stanlalee

you should have got the cleaner shrimp first and added the toby later. Most people have pretty good success adding small valentini puffers to tanks with cleaner shrimp. Mine never bothered my fire shrimp and I did a lot of searching before I attempted it and most people didn't have problems. there is a very good chance it wont work if the puffer is in the tank before the shrimp and/or the toby is on the large size (if you can call any size toby large). yours is small enough but the sequence is wrong. still may very well work or not.

hefner413

hmm. That would have been a good idea, huh. I wonder if I put my puffer in my 10 gal quarantine for a couple weeks if it would lose it's sense of territory. Or would that be cruel to the valentini?
Overall, I could try it out, but hate to have a $20 dinner for the valentini. $20 is the best price I've found on the cleaner.

hefner413

Originally Posted by weezer591
i have about a 2 inch valentini and a chocolate chip star, a turbo snail and hes cool with them.
And any luck with shrimp?

reefreak29

Originally Posted by weezer591
i was abotu to buy a shrimp but didnt. so im nto sure..
i guess the only real way to find is buy one

the puffer would eat it

darthsimon

I had a this Puffer in my tank for 12 hours the other day. A Nass Snail came out while I was feeding, and the puffer had him for dinner like a steak platter... Then the Puffer started picking at my Zoo corals... Took him right back to fish store....

hefner413

Well, I'm trying it out - I have a 2 section tank, and thus I blocked off access to the second section. I have the cleaner shrimp and the valentini separated right now, one in each section - hoping that the shrimp will get established. What do you all think? Will this help - how long should I let the shrimp get established? And should I consider putting my Valentini in my quarantine tank prior to un-blocking the sections and then returning the valentini afterward? Thanks!

renogaw

Originally Posted by Hefner413
yeah yeah. :eek:) Any recommendations though?
coctail sauce for the puffer.

reefkprz

Anything is possible, sometimes predators dont eat cleaners because of what they do. honestly I think its going to be an expensive snack. I would put one or the other in another tank or get rid of one.

tang4me

I think your giving yourself the best chance by separating them initially. If you would have added the shrimp directly into the tank the puffer would have targeted it for sure. I wouldn't pull the puffer out of the tank. You have already accomplished getting the shrimp in the tank, and settled in without being eaten. Just make sure when you pull the divider out the shrimp is in a position where it could easily escape and hide if the puffer comes after it.
I've had several Valentini puffers over the years. Some have a left a decent size shrimp alone, but either way don't blame the puffer. It's just instinct. The Valentini is a great fish.

hefner413

Thanks for the advice. How long would you advise to leave the divider?
And yeah - I love my valentini - he's got a great personality. But I'm thinking of coral eventually, and he'll prob have a new home.

tang4me

I would go ahead and remove it. There is no added benefit to keeping it in at this point. You accomplished the main objective of getting the shrimp down to the bottom of the tank without being a target. That is the best you can do. When you remove the divider distract your puffer.
Just keep an eye on it. The Valentini will definitely check the shrimp out. There is now way to avoid their curiosity. Hopefully, it will decide not to eat it. Good luck!

hefner413

Well, I removed it right after feeding time. The valenini has seen the shrimp, but did not make a move at it yet. We'll see! ***)

tang4me

Great. If you can make it through the first couple weeks the odds of success greatly increase. Update the thread every once in a while. I'm curious how it works out. Good luck!