What size powerhead??????????????????

paul monroy

Hi, I have a 29 gallon. I am thinking on getting two powerheads for it but I dont know how strong to get them for my tank? Please answer my question, Thank you.

Don't use power sweep they will just frustrate you to death they always stick.
I use RIOs alot of people will say they are no good but that hasen't been my luck.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I'd say go with the maxijets, and avoid the rios. Rios are good when they are good, but there have been too many instances of serious failures, including burning pumps in tank the spews toxins in aquarium, to take the risk.

salttrigger

I use maxi jets(they are ok),
I use power sweep(they are ok)no problems so far with this two.
I have rios too, like Beth says they are a pain in the...you know!

corky

I like the AquaClear power heads. They've never let me down. I also have power sweeps that do occasionally get stuck but overall a decent powere head.

oceanblue

along the years I've used pretty much all of them. For salwater applications I like the marineland or hagen's for straight power heads, but for wave motion you have to get a wavemaker of some kind, so the nice answer is the power sweeps. Yes, they do get stuck pretty much requiring bi-monthly cleaning to keep them from sticking, but none the less work great. The hagen's tend to be a little noiser, and the marineland's tend to need fresh impeller's due to the saltwater causing more friction I think. Anyway, it's all good.

gregbva

I just have 2 Rio Powerheads and they are vibrating a lot and I am throwning them away. I am currently using a Whisper dual filter with bio-filter and one Marineland Penguin Powerhead and she is quite and moves the water pretty good. Good Luck.

fishfreek

I use maxi-jets. They are quiet and don't over heat. I am very happy with their over all performance. Try to circulate the tank 10X per hour.HTH

justinl

I have 2 power sweep (model 226) heads and I've never had any problems with them. They are more than enough for my 30 gallon tank.