What size tank, and best fish

mandyfishgirl

Hi, I am new to saltwater aquariums. I have been planning to have one this christmas. I have had alot of experience with freshwater, so I know some of the basics. I know that saltwater is going to be more work, and I am prepared. I borrowed tons of books on saltwater fishcare. I learned a whole lot, so I am not going to be stupid. I studied about it for a month. I will soon set up a tank, and let it run for a month or so.And what I read from the book , I will start out with a pair of clownfish. And after 2 weeks or more, I will add a royal gramma, affter that a blennie, goby, and shrimp. After enough experience a mandarin maybe. Is this a good way to start out? And what size tank you reccomend? I was thinking 75 or 80? Is that too big? And I am buying a cabinet with a sump and canister filter. And I dreamed of having a saltwater aquarium, and I will work hard for it. Please give me helpful advice, and please no insultinig answers thankyou.

Hi again, I found a good 80 gallon 5 foot long with cabinet all of 60 on craigslist! I was really shocked, it was a miracle, it is in good condition. The man who had it just wanted to get rid of it, plus he makes custom cabinets. It is a little dusty and has a few minor scratches, but once I clean it, it will look good as new. I am planning to keep live coral, so I am resarching about that. My dad is into that, and he has plans for the pump filter. The tank I have will definetly hold the amount of fish I plan on getting. I cannot wait.My dad also always wanted saltwater aquarium. Thanks for your
great advice, and thanks for being nice to me.I study alot about the fish and coral care, and my dad works on studying the equipment, he is good at building things, and pipe work. I am a animal lover, so I will treat my future fish carefully and respectivley. When I did not know alot of these fish, I instantly wanted a tang or butterfly, but after reading, I am so glad I did not get one. I hear those are harder to care for. I am so happy even though I just got a empty tank.

E

eric b 125

welcome to the boards! (cant believe i beat flower to it!) it sounds like you are on the right track. a 75 gallon is a good starter aquarium IMO. do you have an idea of the equipment list you plan on buying?

snakeblitz33

Welcome to the boards! I hope you enjoy your stay!
75g are great tanks - even for experienced hobbyists. Make sure you get one "reef ready" ... that means it's drilled with two holes and has an internal overflow box. That way you won't have to worry about siphons etc. with external overflow boxes. It's easier.
Canister filters are a lot of work for saltwater aquariums to maintain. With the use of a sump, a canister filter is not needed. Sumps (can) contain filtration medias - both mechanical and chemical - which replaces the use of a canister filter. Sumps hide equipment like protein skimmers and heaters and other stuff, so canister filter isn't needed at all. It's also more cost effective if you build your own sump out of an aquarium. For a 75g, a 20g long glass aquarium would work perfectly. All it would take is a few cut pieces of glass and some silicone and you'de be set for 1/4th the cost of a pre-built sump.
I like your idea of taking everything slow. That's how it should be, and I commend you for doing your research first. I wish more hobbyists were like you.
As soon as you have mastered fish, you will (more than likely) want to get into corals. So, I highly suggest you do a ton of research into what coral you would like to keep first, and then decide what kind of lighting and additional filtration you will need.
I have a series of "Snake's Methods" Threads that you might find interesting and helpful in the future, let me know if you want me to post a link to it.

sweatervest13

Welcome!!
75 or 80 is not to big at all. But you can also go bigger. Depending on your budget a 90 or even bigger would be nice. You say you have fresh water experience. What's the biggest tank you have kept?
I 100% agree with snake doing a DIY on a sump is the way to go. You will find that this hobby can cost an arm and a leg. any cost savings you can do will help you stretch your dollar further. That way you can get more and better equipment. For the most part you get what you pay for in this hobby.
I look forward to seeing what you choose. Have fun!! The planning part is one of my favorite.