what species of octopus is right for me?

runn3rb3an

i have the 29 gallon biocube and i was wondering if i could put any type of octopus in it. i relize it would kill my other fish but im wonder what species could fit and where to get it. i have several pounds of live rock with good hiding spots and live sand.

fattony

I don't think that there is any type of Octopus that you could get for your tank... you really need a rather large tank to put one in...

texasmetal

Never kept either of the Bimac species. Kept the Caribbean two-spots (O. filosus aka O. hummelincki) though, often confused with Bimacs.
Really need a 55 gallon or larger for most of the commonly sold octopuses. The bigger the tank the better. My 75 gallon is pushing it for the O. briareus I have currently, arm-span is 30 inches, and it's not even the maximum potential size which would be about 48 inch arm-span, the length of your typical 55 gallon.
Honestly you could get away with O. mercatoris quite easily in a 29 gallon, but they are strictly nocturnal, only come out late at night and absolutely refuse to come out if there are any lights on. They don't exhibit the entertaining interactive behaviors that the larger species do, very shy species. On the plus side though, they are apparently a social species so you could keep many in a 29 gallon. They only grow to about 5 inches long max. A lot of people have had success raising them from eggs, so if you got a brooding female you could raise another generation after she passes. They only live 8 months or so on average, but if you kept several you could potentially keep several generations until inbreeding causes any significant problems.
If you kept up water changes regularly once a week, maybe twice a week if needed, and you had a really good skimmer, you might could get away with an Abdopus aculeatus. They aren't pygmies, but they don't get as big as most of the mid-sized common octopuses.
Something to consider is that octopuses like to explore and move around, and the more room you have, the more entertained they will be in the aquarium, and the more behaviors you will see them exhibit. I keep my Abdopus in a 60 gallon cube, and it has lots of room to swim and actually walk on the sand, something I never see my O. briareus do, because it's too big to swim in the 75 gallon, and there isn't enough open space for it to walk on the sand, not even sure if O. briareus does walk.
It's worth the patience and extra expense to set it up right the first time. You will be rewarded for your efforts. Don't get discouraged, just postpone your plans until you can provide the right home and find the right species.
PS. Looks like you already got some good advice on TONMO, which means you're doing your homework. Thank you for that.

reefkprz

he has a biocube, TX metal, can you offer some ideas for the modifications he would need to make to that type of tank, to prepare it for holding an octopus.

texasmetal

Screen over the overflow with material from a "window screen repair kit". I haven't kept a biocube so I'm not real familiar with the filtration on them or the overflow but I've seen them so from memory I would say that the solution would be a pain in the butt because you would have to scrub the screen off daily to keep the debris from building up on it and restricting the flow through it. O. mercatoris isn't escape prone like the others so sealing the lid wouldn't be an issue. Duct tape could solve that real quick though if need be.
I've been told the filtration in the biocube's isn't that great, or at least the skimmers they make specifically for them aren't very reliable. If there's a way to make another overflow in the back filtration area so you can divert water to a sump with a good skimmer, that would be best. Otherwise I would completely scrap the biocube idea and get a bigger tank that's less hassle to customize.

paintballer768

Yea, and I would recommend putting some time of screen between the light housing and the water surface. If the octo were to try to break out and touch the hot light, itd burn him

nigerbang

Originally Posted by TexasMetal
http:///forum/post/2736503
Never kept either of the Bimac species. Kept the Caribbean two-spots (O. filosus aka O. hummelincki
) though, often confused with Bimacs.
Opps...My bad.. I remember when you got yours...Oh well I was hoping you would chime in..

texasmetal

Originally Posted by NigerBang
http:///forum/post/2738062
Opps...My bad.. I remember when you got yours...Oh well I was hoping you would chime in..
Thanks for thinking of me.
I'm always happy to see someone taking the time to research and ask questions before diving into octopus keeping. I would love to see more people keeping them in the future and the only way to make that happen is to spread good information so that the people who are doing it now have better success, in turn showing people that it isn't as hard as the misconceptions would lead them to believe.
I'm about to start up a captive breeding project so hopefully in a few months I'll be able to produce captive-bred/raised octopuses.

runn3rb3an

ok. thanks for all of the advice. i think im going to start with seahorses and see if i can keep them alive untill i move on to an octopus anyway haha