What temps are you guys keeping your seahorses at?

rotarymagic

I heard from a few places that most seahorses don't like to be kept much over 74F, is there much credibility to this or is it being too overly cautious?
I've yet to see much mention of temperatures in this subforum so I thought I'd ask.
Also, do seahorses or pipefish jump?

reefnutpa

All my seahorse tanks run 72F-74F. It's not that the seahorses don't like a temp over 74F, it's the fact pathogens/bacteria multiply much faster at warmer temperatures and can cause issues.
The argument I see over and over and over again on websites is tropical seahorses are found in waters 78F, 80F or 82F. That is true. However, our tiny little glass boxes of 20, 30, 50, 100 gallons of water are NOT the ocean. Pathogens/bacteria do not build up to plague proportions in the ocean due to dilution. In the home aquarium, at elevated temperatures, they quickly build up if one of the specimens carry's or was exposed to a pathogen at some time before arrival in your tank.
Seahorses can carry certain strains of Vibrio that are very active at high temps and multiply very quickly. Especially wild caught seahorses and pipefish. Most seahorse tanks are lower-flow, high organic load -due to the 2-3 time daily feeding of high-protein mysis shrimp. Perfect environment for bacteria: low flow/high temp.
By keeping the temperatures lower, you slow the multiplying of any pathogens....and coupled with regular water changes you are keeping any buildup in check.
Search any fish website or any of the dedicated seahorse websites for hobbyists keeping tanks at 76F, 78F and issues with tails turning white, flesh erosion, blisters, etc.
The first step in treatment is to lower the tank to 68F-70F. Why? To slow the progression of the pathogen. By keeping tanks on the cooler side, 72F or 74F max., you have the best chance of not allowing any issues to develop.
Tom

novahobbies

+1

Mine stays at 75 naturally. As I live in S. Florida, it's near-impossible to go lower w/o a chiller routed through the tank. I keep the house temp at 77, and a fan on the surface of the water keeps the water temp down. I don't even bother w/ a heater in my tank!

dingus890

I slowly turned my heater down thru out the day and got the temp to 75.8 top 76. Should it go lower.I do have other fish in the tank and corals.Not sure if it can go lower.

rykna

Originally Posted by novahobbies
http:///forum/post/2799891
Rykna, do you run a chiller? Just wondering how you keep it so cool....
Well...living in Minnesota is has a 100% benefit when it comes to keeping your tank temp level. In the summer our house temp is 70*, in the winter the house temp is 68*.
My 90 gallon reef tank with outer orbit light unit didn't need a chiller either. That tank stay at 82-84.
My biggest problems with temps is dropping too low at night.
There is a house for sale up the road if you want to save money on a chiller