What to buy next?

invincible569

Hello.
I recenlty purchases a 100G Tenecor Simplicity Plus tank for Saltwater. I purchased it without anything in it. Because I wanted to buy top of the line equipment. What are the basic equipment necessities to get started on my tank. I plan to have live coral and misc fish.
WHat brand of equipment and what type to get started? Please let me know.

monchichi8

So all you have is the 100 gal tank by itself?....Your next purchase should be Wet dry....you can have a custom one built.....Let me know what your doing ..maybe I can help.
Chris

slick

If your doing a reef tank I would stay away from a wet dry. Here is my suggestion. 100-150 lbs of good live rock. A 4-6 inch DSB. Good skimmer. and run a refuge. Good strong lighting. And stock it slowly. If you do this you will have a nice stable tank.

invincible569

Thanks for your replies!
Yes, it will be a reef tank. What is DSB? Good skimmer? I was looking at the Euro Reef's. Is that a pretty good brand? Where would I buy some good strong lighting. My friend spent $600 and said I should expect to pay the same. So I am trying to find the best possible. Where would i find a refuge? Thats the second small tank right? What size should I get?
THANK YOU ALL for helping me out! It means a lot and cant wait to get started.
If it helps.. my tank is a 60x20x18
It has the back where you can add pumps, bio balls, etc. SHould I go ahead and buy those from the LFS?
My email is invincible569@hotmail.com

broomer5

invincible569
I like your approach.
If you're planning to have top-notch equipment, one of the first things I would buy would be a good RO/DI unit.
Reverse Osmosis / Deionized water.
Starting out with a 100 gallon tank ~ and going with the best equipment you can afford ( even if it means delaying the intial setup ) is a great approach.
You can save a ton of money buying hardgoods, pumps, filtration and such - if you buy it online.
If your lfs is really assisting you ( meaning helping you with the right equipment suited to your needs and not strearing you wrong ), then you may want to show some appreciation by supporting them with your business.
If the lfs is not "involved" with your plans - then buy online.
That's how I see it ;)

invincible569

My LFS is not assisting me. And would not like them too. I would rather go by people who actually OWN a saltwater tank and have experienced that type of equipment.
Where would be a good place (and brand) to look online for a RO/DI unit? Thank you for your help!!

broomer5

Kent Marine offer several models of RO or RO/DI units.
swf.com sells them right here - click on Dry Goods.
There are other manufacturers that make good RO and RO/DI units.
I have a Kent - so I have a biased opinion.
Get a good one - and get the RO/DI combo.
Kent Maxima with the HiS is very good.

cjr579

I have a AquaFX RO/DI filter, which also works well. I think it maybe a little bit less expensive compared to the Kent.