What To Do After Painting

lefty

Hello again,
I've decided that I'd like to paint the background of my new 20g long glass tank. I've read through numerous threads about doing that, but I have one question that I couldn't find the answer to. After I'm done painting, do I have to clean the tank out at all? Spray painting the background seems like the easiest way, but it also seems a little messier and creates more fumes. I'm thinking I'll just use a latex-based paint and roll it on. Thank you!

-lefty

gsd

Use masking tape and newspapers or brwon wrapping paper and tape and cover up the tanks sides. Turn tank upside down on newspapers, and then nothing is going to enter the tank.Once dry and the paint coverage is good, remove paper and tape and turn tank over and use it. If it was clean before it is fine. Rolling on latex is easy to and does just as good of a job. Its really personal choice as to what type of paint and method one uses. Its all going to look glossy when viewed from inside the tank anyhow, and if it ever needs to be removed, a razor scraper makes short work of it. The small foam rollers about 1" x 3" such as sold in Wal MArt and big box stores work fine for paint the tanks backs. Its going to take 3 or so coats, so put a flashlight or other light source inside tank and view from outside to see where its too thin.

shlovell16

No "benefit" really, it's just more eye-pleasing. Most people think that if you paint the background a blue or black it makes the tank look better then a picture or clear, also it helps hide equiptment.

gen1dustin

When I painted my 2 tanks I simply used black spray paint. I used some tape (black tape was the only thing I had around my house) & some plastic drop cloth I had laying aroung. I wraped it & taped it up all good except for the back & started spraying. After that I took off the tape & plastic & it was good to go. Nothing to it really, & if you do get paint where you don't want it use a razor blade to scrape it off.
The benefits are A: Makes the tank overall more eye-pleasing & better looking, B: Better than tape on plastic backgrounds because painted ones can't get water inbetween them & the glass & can't ruffle up & stuff, C: It brings out the natural beauty of the colors on fish.

lubeck

You could always get a cutom cut mirror and the width of your tank will look twice as deep. it is not expensive and plus you can see all your live stock when there in the back of the tank. I am glad i got one... it looks more natural. IMO

lefty

Are the fish able to see themselves in the reflection of the mirror on the back? One of my clownfish has a problem with fighting his reflection. I had some algae on the back wall for awhile, and the day I cleaned it off, he started running into the back wall and chasing his reflection all over the place. I had to cover the sides of my tank for about a week until he stopped, hehe.
Also, it's pretty easy for me to see the livestock in my tank. I only have about 20lbs. of rock so there's not really any place for them to hide. (=
-lefty

lubeck

as far as the reflection goes i had a similar issue with mine but after a few weeks there wasn't any problems.
Its all personal preference. Just giving you some other ideas.

gen1dustin

Originally Posted by Lubeck
You could always get a cutom cut mirror and the width of your tank will look twice as deep. it is not expensive and plus you can see all your live stock when there in the back of the tank. I am glad i got one... it looks more natural. IMO
Hey do you have a pic of your tank? I'd be interested in seeing a background like that in use.

lubeck

The first pic is when I just replaced the cc with ls and added my mh's.
the last two pics are most recent.
It really all depends on if you clean the back glass or not. I do every 5 months or so. i will be doing it again this week because I am having 50ppl over for my daughters 1st birthday party. Want it to look nice and clean. It will look like the first pic when its clean plus gets alot brighter. when i wait that long I have to use a razor blade so its a project. I enjoy it though.

lubeck

I will be adding another 60lbs of lr once it cures. I have been waiting 4 weeks so far. I am getting annoyed... it probably won't be ready for the b-day party on saturday. I was really hoping to have it put in... along with a crocea clam and maxima clam.