What to do with my sump ?

emilaya101

I have a 55 gal that I am about to cycle as a fowlr, and a 29 gal that will be my sump, It already has the dividers in it, and this is an approximate drawing of it, I have a box of bio balls, and that's it, but I'll buy whatever I need, so you guys should tell me what I should put in the compartments ? I want to put the heaters, but I plan on leavung my skimmer on the back of my tank, so give me your opoinions ! (and experiences
) Anything will help ! Thanks in advance

fallout

the only thing I have in my sump is my filter, pump, and heaters. My skimmer will go in as soon as I get one. The LFS told me I didn't want Bioballs.

scopus tang

Originally Posted by Emilaya101
http:///forum/post/2565120
I have a 55 gal that I am about to cycle as a fowlr, and a 29 gal that will be my sump, It already has the dividers in it, and this is an approximate drawing of it, I have a box of bio balls, and that's it, but I'll buy whatever I need, so you guys should tell me what I should put in the compartments ? I want to put the heaters, but I plan on leavung my skimmer on the back of my tank, so give me your opoinions ! (and experiences
) Anything will help ! Thanks in advance

Don't know how close your drawing is to the real thing, but if it is, your going to have some issues with water volume, as the chambers will only fill to the level of the bottom baffles. That said, I use the first chamber for LR, the second for Chaeto and heaters, and the third for a return pump.
If your not using Chaeto, you can place your skimmer in the second chamber. JMO.

grim_reefer

Originally Posted by Scopus Tang
http:///forum/post/2565182
Don't know how close your drawing is to the real thing, but if it is, your going to have some issues with water volume, as the chambers will only fill to the level of the bottom baffles. That said, I use the first chamber for LR, the second for Chaeto and heaters, and the third for a return pump.
If your not using Chaeto, you can place your skimmer in the second chamber. JMO.
wrong! it can and will fill to a volume larger then the chamber divider.. the dividers will do the job of getting rid of the micro-bubbles - or at least for the most part - looks good.. put the skimmer, heater, phosphate reactor, and some carbon inserts in there! Not to mention the live rock and sand of course in the middle.. the skimmer (hopefully) will fit in on the side OPPOSITE to the return pump..

emilaya101

Thanks so much for all the help
I plan on putting my skimmer in the first chamber, and return pump in the last one, so you think I should do lr and ls in the middle
I think this would be Ideal, but I wasn't sure whether or not the sand would get blown around
But if you guys don't think so, I will. I'll leave the bio balls in the fish cupboard cause they sound kinda worthless
Thanks so much for all the help, I love you guys

scopus tang

Originally Posted by Grim_Reefer
http:///forum/post/2565950
wrong! it can and will fill to a volume larger then the chamber divider.. the dividers will do the job of getting rid of the micro-bubbles - or at least for the most part - looks good.. put the skimmer, heater, phosphate reactor, and some carbon inserts in there! Not to mention the live rock and sand of course in the middle.. the skimmer (hopefully) will fit in on the side OPPOSITE to the return pump..
Easy there Reefer ~ not the first nor the last time I'll be wrong! Sorry Emilaya101, I stand corrected on the issue of the divider

prime311

I think the better design actually returns water out of the center and one of the ends is used for a refugium. Here's how mine is set up: