What to do with no power? tornado got me

saltym3

I got smacked by a tornado today and had no power for 6 hours. I have power now but was worried in case it ever happened again. My tank is small and has barely any inhabitants but I was still worried about my fish. What is there to do about keeping the water circulated when you have no power? Oh and by the way my house is fine, I just have a 30 year old tree sitting on top of my roof.

cboyfan2020

I live in Tornado Alley, I know what you are going through trust me.
Tip: always have spare, fresh saltwater on hand ...5g should do
Keep the water oxygenated by getting a cup and just filling it with tank water and dumping it right back in every 45 min or so.
Do some tests every couple of hours just to be safe.
If you have bio media such as a sponge pad or something put it in the tank. DON'T LET IT DRY OUT KEEP IT WET!!!
6 hours shouldn't be that big of a deal but 9 or more could get a little hairy. If you have the funds you could buy a small generator or battery backup system.

fshhub

we generally don't have to worry about tornadoes. but
snowstorms took out power at our store for 3 ddays at christmas,a dn everything made it 2 days or longer. but before th power came back on, they were almost all dead, except my linkia.
a generator is by far the best option
2d is a battery back up system(like one ofr a computer)
put at least one pump on it and the heater, if possible. A standard battery back up that will keep a computer and monitor for 20 to 25 minutes will last several hours with one pump on it, and maybe even a heater.
or, as mentioned, hand circulation, which is alot of work.
unless it is extrememy hot or cold, you would be ok for most stuff for a few hours.

richard rendos

for an outage that long, I would get a generator. I bought one this winter...haven't used it yet, but I have it just in case.

ty_05_f

Yeah, I live in Tornado Alley too. Power has been off and on the past couple of days. But I don't worry about it too much, It usually comes right back on in a little bit.

I lost power here today, but only for less than a minute. Problem was my pvc that i have going back into the tank from the sump starting to drain the tank and into the sump. For some reason the return pump was not working, but it is now.:)

I bought a battery powered air pump for real emergencies. I got it at my lfs but if you get in a real trouble you can always blow in the water with a straw.
Sarah:)