What type of filter

fishman2003

Hi people,
I'm starting out with my first saltwater tank and its size is 30Gal. I know some people recommends 55gal for starters but that's all i have and don't really want to go bigger. So what equipment would you recommend? I want a fish only tank with live rock. I already have:
30Gal glass tank
1 Marineland Penguin 330 biowheel filter
crushed coral ( although I'm thinking on going with sand instead)
so what other equipment will i need?
Luis

A

alti

wow another person from jersey. there are so many of us here. the 30 gal should be big enough to start with. im not crazt about those penguin filters on saltwater tanks though. i prefer to use at least a big canister filter or a wet dry. you could actually build a pretty cheap wet dry for a tank that size with a 10 gal tank, an overflow box and a return pump. it should cost no more than 75-100 bucks. get rid of the crushed coral. it is the best thing you can do for yourself at this point. it is a constant maintenance problem and has no real benefits IMO. a DSB on the other hand has many benefits and will require much less maintenance. go to one of your local nurseries/garden supply store and get some southdown sand. some places sell it under the name yardright tropical play sand. it should cost no more than 5 bucks for a 50 lb bag. if you cant find it let me know, i see it in some of the stores in my area. as for other equipment you will need i strongly recommend a protein skimmmer and most important of all, a ro/di unit. if you need any help feel free to email me. im in north jersey.

A

alti

one more thing. i just wanted to let you know that this state per capita has the most morons working in our local fish stores. dont listen to what they tell you.

birdy

With a dsb and 1.5 of LR per gallon, I do not think you will need a wet/dry. If you can set up a small sump underneath the tank to house your heaters and skimmer and possibly a small refugium of caulerpa, you would have a nice set up. I run a power filter on my 46 but without any media unless it is needed to run phosphate sponge or some occasional carbon. I leave it on for water circulation. I would also recommend a skimmer, and a couple of powerheads for water circulation. I also recommend using RO/DI water, you will save your self a lot of problems with algae if you do.