what type of filters are you useing on fish only tanks ?

newfishliny

just like to know if you guys are useing wet drys or skimmeers or both. I have 80 lbs of rock and 80 sand 2 power heads just got
802's - 30 gal sump going to use a wet dry Im makeing , but still thinking of skimmer in it . I ask because I want to put some beginner corals and some other stuff, but not a full blown reef.

sterling

The only FO tank I have is my QT. It is 38 gallons. I have a BakPak2 on it and a Magnum. Works fine. I had 4 fish in it at one time. Now just Tiny Tim, the rescuee.

carrie1429

I use a wet dry filter on both my tanks, my FOWLR and reef tank. This is the only thing I have ever used and its worked great with just wet dry.

jenleewoo

My 75 gallon FOWLR has ~70 pounds of live rock, a Fluval 404 canister filter and a SeaClone Protein skimmer. I wouldn't recommend the SeaClone, but definitely get a skimmer. You wouldn't believe the gunk it pulls out (when I can keep it working).

nm reef

My 58 fish only is filtered via 60lbs of LR...a active 6" DSB...Millinium 3000 mechanical filter(carbon pads once a month for a few days)...a CPR BacPac2r skimmer...and additional circulation via 2 Hagen 802 powerheads. I intentionally keep the bio-load low and feed the system on the average every other day. Levels are stable and nitrates are about 20-40 ppm.....very simple and easy to maintain. Inhabitants are numerous crabs & snails...large brittle star...yellow tang...pygmy angel...percula clown....condy anonome...and massive amounts of micro fauna in the sand bed.:cool:

musipilot

Our FOWLR 180 has :
4 powerheads
2 Aquaclear 500's with JUST foam
1 Ecosystem Sump/Miracle Mud Wet/Dry filter.
Lots of messy eaters in there, and the aquas have to be cleaned at LEAST once a week.

S

starfishjackedme

Wet-dry filters are a nitrate factory. The only filter you need is a protien skimmer and the LR you have. I always have zero nitrates on any test kit.

newfishliny

Originally posted by starfishjackedme
Wet-dry filters are a nitrate factory. The only filter you need is a protien skimmer and the LR you have. I always have zero nitrates on any test kit.

If for many years and still going strong wet drys ,
rockers ect are used by beginners to experienced hobbist .
Not to say protein skimmers are just as popular, I see from
all the diffrent opinions , that depending on what state your from
this is what has been taught in our home town. puplic aquariums
use wet drys , water plants use wet drys ect. Protein skimmers are also used in puplic aquariums. there most be a benifit to a wet /dry system in a all fish tank. WHAT WILL THE PROTEIN SKIMMER DO AND WHAT WILL THE WET DRY NOT DO, WHAT WILL
THE SKIMMER NOT DO AND WHAT WILL THE WET/DRY DO.
OR SHOULD WE USE BOTH.
THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR OPINIONS , THERE IS ALOT TO LEARN
AND IT IS IN THE BEST INTEREST OF THE FISH.

S

starfishjackedme

Originally posted by NewFishLINY
IT IS IN THE BEST INTEREST OF THE FISH.

I agree with that very much. I am always interested to hear how much a reef's nitrates have gone down after the removal of the wet/dry. :D

nosmada

i use a seaclone, three PH's for water movement, some LR and a DSB. never had a problem in the 3 years this tank has been set up.
chris

jla9508

I have a 55gal FO tank filtered with 50lbs of live rock, 4" DSB, Emperor 280, and a Prizim protein skimmer.

J

jessicarabit

Amiracle SL-5 Wet/Dry w/built in protien skimmer,
Hagen AquaClear-150(for carbon), plus 75 LBS Live Rock (natrual filtration baby)

I only have a 6" DSB, 75 Lbs LR, (2) maxi-jets (soon to be 3) and a Penguin 400 w/ no media or bio-wheels for additional circulation. I am hoping to add a Remora Pro in the next month or two.

jumpfrog

Have a 46 bow. Originally had 30 lbs of LR and a whisper 3 with a prizm skimmer. Recently added a Ehiem 2026 to ween off the whisper in a month. This weekend added another 22 lbs of LR which had died. Once it's become live again I'm removing the whisper and running just the Ehiem and occassionally the skimmer. Do have on ph for extra movement.