What would be the point of Universal federal Background checks of firearms?

2quills

Somebody tried to stick me with a frivelous felony charge once. It was dropped, but I do vaguely remember my first court apearance and being told by the judge that I was not to allowed to purchase or be in the same household with a gun in it from that point on. Doesn't effect me now though, but I did have to get the charge expunged from my record in order to ever purchase one again.

darthtang aw

I would guess a convicted felon would be informed.  However, indicted, that doesn't make sense.  What about the presumption of innocence until proven gilty in the court of law.  I know the form asks this question though. 
Perhaps the chances are they are a soon to be felon, but I think that's jumping the gun - no pun intended... 
When a person gets a dui/dwi until their case is closed they are not allowed to drink alcohol..
This is no different.
My whole thought process was this. If we have people knowingly trying to acquire illegal firearms, why are we not prosecuting them? These same type people are the people everyone is concerned about getting firearms to commit crimes. So these refused people most likely are buying them off the street or private sale. as stated, that is a high percentage of FELONS trying to acquire a firearm.
My other thought process is, at some point Congress and politicians have been looking at ammunition requiring a background check. I just picked up 100 rounds. walked in, and walked out. There were 7 other people doing the same in this small store at 9:30 in the morning. Can ATF handle that many transaction on a daily basis as well as the Gun transactions? I buy far more ammunition than guns. As does everyone I know. usually at a ratio of 30/1

reefraff

My brother went through this. He was CHARGED with a felony which is supposedly different than being under indictment.

reefraff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthtang AW http:///t/394399/what-would-be-the-point-of-universal-federal-background-checks-of-firearms/20#post_3510665
When a person gets a dui/dwi until their case is closed they are not allowed to drink alcohol..
This is no different.
My whole thought process was this. If we have people knowingly trying to acquire illegal firearms, why are we not prosecuting them? These same type people are the people everyone is concerned about getting firearms to commit crimes. So these refused people most likely are buying them off the street or private sale. as stated, that is a high percentage of FELONS trying to acquire a firearm.
My other thought process is, at some point Congress and politicians have been looking at ammunition requiring a background check. I just picked up 100 rounds. walked in, and walked out. There were 7 other people doing the same in this small store at 9:30 in the morning. Can ATF handle that many transaction on a daily basis as well as the Gun transactions? I buy far more ammunition than guns. As does everyone I know. usually at a ratio of 30/1
No, they can't which is the whole point. By making people go in and buy ammo and forcing them to wait a week or longer to pick it up they think they will force people out of the hobby. It will be the same deal with universal background checks. You wont be able to pick your gun up the day you pay for it anymore. Wait and see.

darthtang aw

My brother went through this. He was CHARGED with a felony which is supposedly different than being under indictment.
We will have to wait for Crimzy to explain this.

reefraff

When my brother was cracked (drug dealing) they confiscated the guns he had inside his place but he had a couple rifles they didn't find. Once he got his plea deal the lawyer told him to get the other two guns out of his place before he plead guilty because he would at that point be a felon.

deejeff442

how does this affect buying a gun from a friend or private citizen? in the next week or 2 i am getting a 357 mag from a friend

darthtang aw

how does this affect buying a gun from a friend or private citizen? in the next week or 2 i am getting a 357 mag from a friend
it doesnt. Unless you take it to an ffl and have it registered and transferred to you.

zman1

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejeff442 http:///t/394399/what-would-be-the-point-of-universal-federal-background-checks-of-firearms/20#post_3510691
It doesn't - yet. Who knows how it will change. Currently, what ever your state requires for non retail purchases/transfers.
I don't know what Texas requires, but the restrictive state of Illinois requires the following:

We are required to have a FOID card for firearms, air guns, and ammunition.
Here is a form that could be used for the transfer:
http://www.beararms.com/PDF/FTUP.pdf

2quills

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefraff http:///t/394399/what-would-be-the-point-of-universal-federal-background-checks-of-firearms/20#post_3510674
When my brother was cracked (drug dealing) they confiscated the guns he had inside his place but he had a couple rifles they didn't find. Once he got his plea deal the lawyer told him to get the other two guns out of his place before he plead guilty because he would at that point be a felon.
Hmm...pretty sure every drug raid that I've heard of they've always confiscated every gun in the house. And then if the legal owner is allowed to rightfully own the weapon then they can come and claim it back. I think it depends. Normally under indictment (from what I'm understanding now is) you are simply banned from transporting or receiving guns. And if you are convicted then your guns get confiscated. But it may not happen this way in every situation. States may have their own say in this as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deejeff442
http:///t/394399/what-would-be-the-point-of-universal-federal-background-checks-of-firearms/20#post_3510691
Might want to check with the state, Jeff. But I'm pretty sure we don't have to worry about that here. Just have your buddy give you some type of receipt so that you have a record. Texas makes it pretty easy to own guns.
Let's see what the Brady Act has to say...
The Brady Act requires that background checks be conducted on individuals before a firearm may be purchased from a federally licensed dealer, manufacturer or importer—unless an exception applies. If there are no additional state restrictions, a firearm may be transferred to an individual upon approval by the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) maintained by the FBI. In some states, proof of a previous background check can be used to bypass the NICS check. For example, a state-issued concealed carry permit usually includes a background check equivalent to the one required by the Act. Other alternatives to the NICS check include state-issued handgun purchase permits or mandatory state or local background checks.
Section 922(g) of the Brady Act prohibits certain persons from shipping or transporting any firearm in interstate or foreign commerce, or receiving any firearm which has been shipped or transported in interstate or foreign commerce, or possessing any firearm in or affecting commerce. These prohibitions apply to any person who:
[list type=decimal]
[*]
Has been convicted in any court of a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one year;
[*]
Is a fugitive from justice;
[*]
Is an unlawful user of or addicted to any controlled substance;
[*]
Has been adjudicated as a mental defective or committed to a mental institution;
[*]
Is an alien illegally or unlawfully in the United States;
Has been discharged from the Armed Forces under dishonorable conditions;
Having been a citizen of the United States, has renounced U.S. citizenship;
Is subject to a court order that restrains the person from harassing, stalking, or threatening an intimate partner or child of such intimate partner, or;
Has been convicted in any court of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence.
Has a record of being a felon
[/list type=decimal]
Section 922(n) of the Act makes it unlawful for any person who is under indictment for a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one year to ship or transport any firearm in interstate or foreign commerce, or receive any firearm which has been shipped or transported in interstate or foreign commerce.[sup][1]
Currently, 92% of Brady background checks through NICS are completed while the FBI is still on the phone with the gun dealer.[2][/sup] In rare cases, a gun purchaser may have to wait for up to three business days if the NICS system fails to positively approve or deny his/her application to purchase a firearm. If a denial is not issued within those three days, the transfer may be completed at that time.
Firearm transfers by unlicensed private sellers that are "not engaged in the business" of dealing firearms are not subject to the Brady Act, but may be covered under other federal, state, and local restrictions.

deejeff442

well all good for me (the mental disorder is iffy at times)lol just building a house next to my rv i am living in and want a gun in case of thieves.i have a 22 rifle in here now but want something a bit more louder

zman1

2Quills...
That requirement is for a firearm purchase from a FFL gun dealer. example "Ma and Pa Guns Unlimited LLC"
That's not the same as personal private citizen transfer unless your state requires it to go through a FFL dealer.

2quills

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman1 http:///t/394399/what-would-be-the-point-of-universal-federal-background-checks-of-firearms/20#post_3510704
2Quills...
That requirement is for a firearm purchase from a FFL gun dealer. example "Ma and Pa Guns Unlimited LLC"
That's not the same as personal private citizen transfer unless your state requires it to go through a FFL dealer.
All you need to do here is check i.d. As a private citizen you are not supposed to sell a gun to anyone unless you have no reasonable doubt that they are allowed to own it. But background checks are not required to do. If you do sell a gun and gets used in a crime then should it be investigated you don't want it to come back on you making it look like you made a bad sell. Otherwise that's pretty much it.