What would it take?

A

arlene1995

Hi!
I am new to SPS corals and so far have only had softies. Now, my question is, what kind of lighting would it take for me to keep Acropora sp. in my 28 Gallon Euro tank. Dimensions are: 24"L x 12.25"W x 18.75"T. Right now, I have a Coralife Aqualight at 65w. All help is appreciated! Thanks!

A

arlene1995

Hi!
I don't have the ability to run Metal Halides, but I can run T5s. If I used a twin bulb fixture with aluminum foil as the reflectors along with my Aqualight, would I be able to support SPS? Also, I have a 50/50 bulb in the Aqualight. Thanks for the help!

chilwil84

2 t5s with a single reflector (not homemade) might let u keep a montipora capricornious or digita but the colors might not be good. look up current usa products they are a reasonably priced brand.

wangotango

Honestly, ditch the PC all together and invest in a decent T5ho fixture like a TEK or Aquactincs.
The twin bulb fixtures that hold stock lamps won't run T5ho lamps, and alluminum foil is not very reflective compared to polished alluminum or micro IV finish.
-Justin

A

arlene1995

Is there a difference between T5-HO lamps and just plain T5s?

wangotango

Originally Posted by Arlene1995
http:///forum/post/2655392
Is there a difference between T5-HO lamps and just plain T5s?
Yes, the T5ho run at a higher wattage. These are the type you want to use for a reef. 24" lamps are 24w, 36" are 39w, 48" are 54w, and 60" are 80w.
-Justin

A

arlene1995

Hi!
Ok... I didn't know that. I have seen that there are also T6 fixtures. If I put a 4-bulb T6 fixture on along with my Aqualight, would I be anywhere near keeping SPS? Thanks for the help!

nycbob

i'd just wait and save up for a decent t5 fixture b4 buying any sps. why risk having ur sps die and waste ur money?

gatorwpb

Originally Posted by nycbob
http:///forum/post/2657711
i'd just wait and save up for a decent t5 fixture b4 buying any sps. why risk having ur sps die and waste ur money?
Agree. The most enjoyable aspect of keeping sps is the colors and noticing the growth over time. With insufficient lighting, the colors will be drab and the growth slow.

A

arlene1995

Thanks for the suggestions and help!
Any suggestions for a reasonably priced fixture?? Thanks!

gatorwpb

Looks like you could get a Tek 4x24w t5 HO fixture with individual reflectors (the important part) for about $220, maybe less if you hunt around. Tek also makes a 24" 6x24w fixture, which would be ideal, but like $100 more.
Aquactinics is another t-5 company that uses individual reflectors.
For about $270 you could get a 24" 150w Sunpod with metal halides.

A

arlene1995

I have been lookin' around and found some dual 65w Power Compact fixtures... would these support any hard coral? If not, it looks like I'm gonna be savin' for a while...
Any advice on SPS? Thanks!

jpc763

I would skip the power compact all together. They are just not good enough for SPS. T6 is a totally unproven alternative so I know little about them.
I found a 24" Current USA Nova Extreme 24" fixture for $144 plus shipping. It has a single reflector so you would be limited in your SPS selection, but could do a few Acropora. I have the 48" model of this light over my 55g and I have had success with a couple of SPS.
To keep *any* SPS, you would need to get a 24" Current Sundial ($220) or a Tek 24" ($312) both with individual reflectors or a Metal Halide system.
Bottom Line is save for good lighting. I have the Nova Extreme, but wish I had the Nova Extreme Pro as there are some SPS that I cannot keep. I also can't keep most clams with my lighting either.

Originally Posted by Arlene1995
http:///forum/post/2656710
Hi!
Ok... I didn't know that. I have seen that there are also T6 fixtures. If I put a 4-bulb T6 fixture on along with my Aqualight, would I be anywhere near keeping SPS? Thanks for the help!
t5 and t6 are just the diameters of the bulbs. cfls are t12 i think. i forgot what the unit is. t5 bulbs have about the same intensity as cfls, but because they have smaller diameters, you are able to slide individual reflectors in between each bulb, for a price.

veni vidi vici

Originally Posted by markeo99
http:///forum/post/2661400
I dont believe a 150 mh would give to much of a heat issue?
+1
Galaxy Single 250W Electronic Metal Halide Ballast =$129.95
250W, 20K Single Ended Metal Halide Lamp =$ 79.05
by Radium
Metal Halide Reflector by CoralVue =$30.00
15 ft. Lamp Cord for Galaxy Ballasts =$ 15.95
Grand total=$254.95
And i dont think you need 250w so it should be even cheaper