What would you do?

fishstax

If your tank started leaking. I have a 55g that started leaking the other day dropped 3in over night then another 4in during the day. I checked all my tubing and pumps nothing leaks. My best guess is that the seals around the bottom broke.
So what did I do? I bought a 90g tank, stand and canopy that I will now be setting up.

dina12

I feel your pain....I had a 180 break a seal on me 2 weeks ago. I had to downsize to a 125. No stores here carry a 180 in stock and it was 8 at night. Thank goodness everything survivied and I am happy with the 125 for this month......

fishstax

I ended up taking all that was in it to the lfs they are going to hold it for me until I can get the tank up. I have to getr my RO water from th LFS and all I have is 2 5g containers it is going totake a little while.

debbie

I would have set up that 90 gal, moved everything including all water, rock, filters etc into that 90 gal. Topped the rest up with RO water. I would probably send the new tank into a bit of a cycle but not as much as starting off with all new stuff.
I have done this a few times and it has worked great because you are keeping everything from the old system including the fitlers, then you can slowly over the weeks start to add more sand, rock, new filter if you have to etc.
Just my thoughts.....

windmill

You don't HAVE to use R/O water for the initial fill. In fact, I'd discourage it. The benefit doesn't justify the cost. If your only other option is a well, you might want to go half and half or so.
Me personally, I've never used anything but tap water for the initial fill. For a new set-up, i'll find my tanks spot, fill it with tap, dump in the salt, turn on a powerhead, next day stir and add rocks, decorations and sand. Eventually, before anythig living is added, I usually do 2 large water changes with R/O water (about 1/3 the tank's volume). Much cheaper, easier, quicker, and unless you plan on keeping the most delicate, difficult invertebrates or unusual fish, you have very little to worry about.