What would you exspect

goingpoor

I had been going over and matencing 2 saltwater tanks one is fish only 125 the other reef 110 my old tank....Every week for the past mouth there water was so bad and everything was dyeing and i took up the challance to get these tanks under control...Sence i have started the 125 is a hug difference they had about 6 inches of sand and that was my first thing with that tank i took it down to about 2 to 3 inches,they hadent changed there filter media in a year ya i said it a year
so sad there are peaple like this.... the fish are happier and swimming around more know and have stopped dying....But the reef tank is driving me nuts the rocks where all covered in hair algea red slime and just nasty ,corals where just about all dead but fish where fine ...sence i have started i have treated the tank with cemmy clean the red algea is gone hair algea is gone but there is this nasty grean brown tint to the rocks i tryed scrubbing them to come back the next week and they where the same all over again...i have had them cut back mh to 6 hours a day...but not sure what to exspect ...Any suggestions

sad thing is this is my hubbys aunt and uncle i remember going to there house with my mom and a child and admiring there saltwater tanks..Know they come over and do that with mine and always asking me why theres dont look that good..And i have seen them go to the pet store and spend 300 a pop and everything would be dead in a week ...many times over ...this is why im trying to help them but know i need some help with what to do next....

m0nk

Direct them to this site so they can spend their own time browsing through threads or asking questions.

Seriously, though, if they're serious about animal husbandry in any form, they really need to learn how to care for the stuff on their own. Even most of the rich people around these parts who hire on the LFS to do their maintenance still learn how to do the stuff on their own, just in case the LFS can't get someone out there on schedule, or in case of emergency. I think this site is a great place for them to start, and with a little time and care (and research!) they could have tanks as nice as yours.

aquaknight

What type of substrate does the reef have? Also, have they been using RO or RO/DI water for the tanks? I would test for silica and see where you're at...

goingpoor

Originally Posted by m0nk
Direct them to this site so they can spend their own time browsing through threads or asking questions.

Seriously, though, if they're serious about animal husbandry in any form, they really need to learn how to care for the stuff on their own. Even most of the rich people around these parts who hire on the LFS to do their maintenance still learn how to do the stuff on their own, just in case the LFS can't get someone out there on schedule, or in case of emergency. I think this site is a great place for them to start, and with a little time and care (and research!) they could have tanks as nice as yours.

I have told them about this site,they just dont wont to learn i guess...and it probably just a lost cause for me to be doing there tanks ...they dont even attemped to help when im over there, and its taking me 4 to 5 hours to do water chages and cleaning of everything ,i think there just getting lazzzzzy.

goingpoor

Originally Posted by AquaKnight
What type of substrate does the reef have? Also, have they been using RO or RO/DI water for the tanks? I would test for silica and see where you're at...

There is live sand on bottom but barely even a couple of inches...and no there not using ro water i have been putting amonia detox in when doing water changes...im suppost to go over there tonight after work ill let you know what the water test this week...thanks

m0nk

Originally Posted by goingpoor
I have told them about this site,they just dont wont to learn i guess...and it probably just a lost cause for me to be doing there tanks ...they dont even attemped to help when im over there, and its taking me 4 to 5 hours to do water chages and cleaning of everything ,i think there just getting lazzzzzy.
Wow, that's a shame. Guess they don't really have much interest in the hobby. I know quite a few people who love my tanks but will likely never start one of their own because they just don't have the interest in keeping them. It's not a bad thing, but your friends might be at a point where they need to make a decision to learn how to care for the stuff properly or get out of the hobby. They're not really doing the fish any favors at the moment.