what would you put add?

novahobbies

Well I'm upgrading my 55 gallon reef to a 110 gallon, so I suddenly find myself with an empty 55 gallon tank. I was thinking about doing some non reef safe individuals in a FOWLR setup, but honestly I don't know. I'm thinking of a smaller puffer or wrasse....but the size of the tank may be an issue. Anyone have any suggestions? I'd like to do no more than 4 individuals all together.
Are there any triggers that can be kept in 55s? I expect to keep the 55 as a show tank for about 2 years, then the reef will be upgraded and the FOWLR can move into the 110, so growing out an otherwise larger individual may be feasible.

bruner54

Originally Posted by novahobbies
http:///forum/post/2681272
Well I'm upgrading my 55 gallon reef to a 110 gallon, so I suddenly find myself with an empty 55 gallon tank. I was thinking about doing some non reef safe individuals in a FOWLR setup, but honestly I don't know. I'm thinking of a smaller puffer or wrasse....but the size of the tank may be an issue. Anyone have any suggestions? I'd like to do no more than 4 individuals all together.
Are there any triggers that can be kept in 55s? I expect to keep the 55 as a show tank for about 2 years, then the reef will be upgraded and the FOWLR can move into the 110, so growing out an otherwise larger individual may be feasible.

you could do a niger trigger and a smaller wrasse and a smaller puffer but they will all out grow a 55 so you will have to move them to the 110

prime311

Dwarf Angel, Dwarf Puffer, Small Humu Trigger, and a small Wrasse(Sixline, Scott's Fairy). Niger Triggers grow too fast to be in a 55. Both the Trigger and Puffer will need to go in the 110 after the 55 goes reef, but the Angel and Wrasse can probably stay in the reef. As a suggestion:
Valentini Puffer
Scott's Fairy Wrasse
Humu Trigger(no more then 3")
Flame Angel

novahobbies

I like the hummu triggers, but I gotta ask......
How quickly does a clown trigger grow out? You think it will be safe in a 55 for about 18 to 24 months?? My wife loves the young ones, but I'm on the fence. OTOH, if wife is puttimg up with a third tank in the house, I have to meet her in the middle somewhere!!!

novahobbies

BTW I'm lovin' that fairy wrasse! I'm waiting to try and get in a McCosker's Flasher wrasse from my LFS for my reef setup after its settled in. I'm just happy that, after having to say "no" to my family with all their wishes for non-reef safe fish, I get to let 'em have a little fun...and I get to keep another tank!

pnkflydlvr

you could also try some non aggressive fish that are not reef safe such as butterflyfish, some types of wrasses, or angels. just trying to broaden your options, although i really like the idea of the humu trigger.