What's a Frag?

nel621

Hi I'm new to this hobby. I am waiting for my 30g to finish cycling,maybe by this weekend. And then some fish! But I was wondering what is/are sps frags? Thanks,
Nelson

sps=Small Polyped Sceleterian (Sceleteria refers to stony or hard corals) or Small Polyped Stony, lps means Large Polyped Stonies such as Hammer/Torch/Frogspawn Corals.Examples of sps corals would be Acropora as those seem to be the most popular and Stylophora, Montipora, Seriatopora, Pocillopora, Pavona.I think I got those right off the top of my head...........ofcourse I will be corrected if I am wrong it is late and I am tired.But that is the just of your question.
hth

hot883

Originally Posted by Nel621
Hi I'm new to this hobby. I am waiting for my 30g to finish cycling,maybe by this weekend. And then some fish! But I was wondering what is/are sps frags? Thanks,
Nelson
Nelson, I gotta ask; when did you start your tank?

nel621

Originally Posted by hot883
Nelson, I gotta ask; when did you start your tank?
It's been about 4 weeks.I had fish,they died. Now I'm gun shy. I went out a bought more LR.Aquascping looking good.Just tired of looking at and buying rocks.Thanks for asking,
Nelson

nel621

Originally Posted by saltwaterdave
sps=Small Polyped Sceleterian (Sceleteria refers to stony or hard corals) or Small Polyped Stony, lps means Large Polyped Stonies such as Hammer/Torch/Frogspawn Corals.Examples of sps corals would be Acropora as those seem to be the most popular and Stylophora, Montipora, Seriatopora, Pocillopora, Pavona.I think I got those right off the top of my head...........ofcourse I will be corrected if I am wrong it is late and I am tired.But that is the just of your question.
hth
Thanks SaltwaterDave!

nel621

Originally Posted by reefer123
sps frags are pieces broken off of a mother colony used to trade or start other colones in your tank.

Thank you.Perhaps as I get better at this I may add one or two smalls.

kdfrosty

If your tank's only four weeks old, give it time. Stay on top of water tests and water changes.
I would even wait to add any more fish. I know it's boring looking at and buying expensive rocks, but it's definitely one of the most beneficial things you will have for your tank.

chipmaker

Well when I was in the U S Army a frag was what we called a hand grenade. When I transferred to the USAF a Frag was what we called a up to date last minute change in mission requirements, and when I started to fool with saltwater stuff a frag is a chip off of a larger colony of polyps etc.