Whats a good coral to start with in a new tank??

dragonfish

Hey yall! I have started a new tank and was wondering what kind of coral would be good to start out with?? any suggestions would be appreciated! :help: :help: :help: :help:

effishient

I second that question. I've been into saltwaterfish for a couple years now, but have just recently been interested in a reef tank. I already bought some Xenia. I don't know if there's more than one kind, but if there is, I have the kind that pulses. Pretty cool looking. So far, it looks great in my tank and seems to be doing well, but I've only had it for a few days. What else is good to start with?

uberlink

Leather corals are very easy and don't require extraordinary water quality or lighting. Same for most zoanthids (or "zoos"). Xenias are easy, as you mentioned. And never forget the mushrooms! Mushrooms and zoos come in a ton of beautiful colors, and for the most part they're very easy to care for.
Hard corals get a bit more difficult to care for (in general) and most require better water quality, lots of calcium, and loads of light. These are gross generalizations, but...