What's a NPC?

fretfreak13

Obviously, I'm new to SW.
Does having a NPC mean that you don't need any special lighting at all? No halides, no T5s? I'm going to be making another tank. I'm not sure the size, but I'm guessing it to be about 8-12 gallons. It's a hex, and comes with a top with a fixture built in so I really can't make any special lighting. I was gonna have some shrooms and zoas in there, but dendros are friggin awesome! Anyone think I can get one?

calbert0

NPC = Non Photosynthetic Coral
most gorgonians, sun coral (tubastrea) etc...
Dont need light, but they need a lot of food and have poor survivability in home aquaria. People keeep them, they are just difficult.
especially in a 8-12 gallon tank. It would be very cumbersome to maintain good water quality.

fretfreak13

lol this is a really old thread. I know all this already after doing better research. Thanks though. ^_^
I now have a purple gorg and will be trying a denro soon.

king_neptune

I got a dendro almost 2 weeks ago. So00 pretty!
Sadly last week, a bit of plastic broken off from egg crate got in his mouth, and he swallowed it.
Hes been shut pretty tight since :(
Im pretty sure he will pull through,since he is partially opening up slowly, but its still lame none the less.
Be sure to feed him either small amounts 2x a day. Or one filling meal each day. You can slack off to every other day, from what I'm told. But my main point is don't over feed him. I asked about this last week, it should be up front in the non-photosynthetic section.
I keep him near the bottom, but high enough that sand sifters wont toss sand in his face, and slightly in the shadow of some rock, so he doesn't get intense light. He was happy till the plastic incident :(

fretfreak13

Prolly wont get one until the summertime. Im starting to culture phyto to feed pods for a mandarin, and will dose the tank a little bit. As well I'll feed somewhat like people do with clams with the cut bottle top thingy. lol Don't know how to explain it better. xD

J

jstdv8

hahhaha, joe, that one almost made me shoot soda out my nose.

V

vinnyraptor

non player character. oh wait thats for Dungeons & Dragons, my bad....

V

vinnyraptor

im old school, we used to play or RPG games with books, dice, character sheets, and IMAGINATION! lol

J

jstdv8

I prefer the live chat, ventrillo, 25 man raids, and a world that is constantly evolving.