Whats a QT and what does it do

alix2.0

its basically a seperate SW tank, with no LR or LS (you can use some PVC tubing for hiding places). then you get new livestock, you acclimate it to the QT tank and leave it there for 3-6 weeks. you do this to make sure that your new fish / inverts / coral are healthy. also you can use it for a hospital tank or for seperating an aggressive fish from the DT.

matt b

Originally Posted by alix2.0
http:///forum/post/2519347
its basically a seperate SW tank. then you get new livestock, you acclimate it to the QT tank and leave it there for 3-6 weeks. you do this to make sure that your new fish / inverts / coral are healthy. also you can use it for a hospital tank or for seperating an aggressive fish from the DT.
Ya what she said
It is pretty much so that say your DT (display tank) is full of corals inverts and fish and then you get one new fish and it gives your tanl ich man would that suck!!! I do not QT new corals or inverts but I do QT every new fish unless I have been watching it at my lfs for atleast a month.

chris2010

You want it the same salt as the other tank, right? Does this mean you have to do water changes on two tanks? Also, can I run a UV Light over it to kill the parasites or will that harm the fish? If I cant do that, can I run a UV sterlizer in the tank? Incase you ge confused, those were all ?s for the QT.

darknes

QT stands for Quarantine Tank, just as DT stands for Display Tank.
Yes, you want to use the same salt as your main tank with the same temperature, salinity and other parameters (unless you are doing a special treatment such as hypo). You shouldn't need to change the water as often as your main tank as the bioload will be very small most of the time.
And the UV light is a debateable subject, but in my opinion, I'd say you can use it on the QT.

srgvigil

A quarantine tank can also be turned into a hospital tank if this need arises.
A Hospital tank is a tank where you can administer treatments to fish that would otherwise destroy your main tank (such as hypo and copper treatments)

srgvigil

You many also want to check out Beths thread in the disease and treatment section if you want to know a bunch more details

mattinwa

you dont need a qt tank. my lfs said they dont use one and advised me when i started that if i had a sick fish its just easier and more cost effective to remove it and fresh dip it (place in freshwater-no chlorine for 15 min) to heal it. ive gotten along fine for 5 years without one but its your choice.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by MattinWA
http:///forum/post/2521753
you dont need a qt tank. my lfs said they dont use one and advised me when i started that if i had a sick fish its just easier and more cost effective to remove it and fresh dip it (place in freshwater-no chlorine for 15 min) to heal it. ive gotten along fine for 5 years without one but its your choice.
You have seriously been led wrong. Read about the life cycle of ich and other parasites and fresh water dips. You will find that dipping them only removes some of the parasites from the fish and that the parasites would still be in the display.

perfectdark

Originally Posted by MattinWA
http:///forum/post/2521753

WOW.....
IMO not good advice here, you are indeed one of the lucky ones not to run into problems yet.

al mc

Depends on what you anticipate you might need to put in it. Personally, I would go for a 20-30 gallon, especially if you may need it for larger fish like
angels, or ones that like a little swimming room, like tangs.
Rest is simple. Hang on the back (HOB) filtration, heater, powerhead and some
pvc pipe or simple decorations to give the fish someplace to hide. If to be used for fish only a simple light..if light requiring corals then maybe a T5 light fixture.
Paint the outside surface of the bottom, back..and maybe even sides with blue or black paint....OR..cover these areas with dark construction paper
Cycle the tank. Many will use an old filter from their DT to help add beneficial bacteria.

perfectdark

Originally Posted by Chris2010
http:///forum/post/2528367
Ok I know what it is now can anyone tell me what size and what eqiupment.
That would depend on what size fish you are planning on getting. Larger is always better, but in some cases a 10 gal if set up properly works just fine. If your intention is to get some larger fish you may want to get a 30 gal, as it is advisable to quarantine one fish at a time anyway. There are many different ways to set one up. What is needed, a good Filter, HOB Type is fine with some sort of sponge or other type of media for keeping bacteria. I always make sure I have more than enough filtration so for a 30 gal tank, an aqua clear 70 would be what I suggest. A heater and some ornamental fixtures for any of your fish to hide in or around as they get accustom to their new surroundings. Lighting is optional and is not necessary except for observation, unless corals are going to be quarantined. Even at that you can quarantine corals for about a week without hurting them. Anything longer I would suggest getting some decent lighting. I start my tank light cycle after 2 weeks of quarantine to help the fish get used to it before they enter my DT. A power head is also recomended to keep current in the tank. This is just MO others will have different ways to set things up. Keeping your salinity, ph and tank temp as close as you can to your DT. This recomended because you want the transition from quarantine to display you want to be as stress free and smooth as you can.

T

tizzo

My qt was a 30 gallon. I had 2 powerheads and a heater in it.
Also some pieces of PVC for the fish to hide in.
No lights or substrate or rocks or anything.
But I did a small water change about every day while fish were there.

chris2010

Thank You guys for info
. When I do the water changes, should I get The new water from the show Tank. Wouldn't you think that would help out on the fish that i am quarantining??????

T

tizzo

http:///forum/post/2528477
Thank You guys for info
. When I do the water changes, should I get The new water from the show Tank. Wouldn't you think that would help out on the fish that i am quarantining??????
Sure. It makes no difference, but that's a good idea.

perfectdark

http:///forum/post/2528477
Thank You guys for info
When I am quarantining my fish I use fresh SW mix only. But if your display tanks water is spot on showing no elevated levels of amonia, nitrites etc... then I think its ok.
I actually did that once when I was trying to pin point the sourse of a bad string of deaths in my tank. I quarantined my next fish for 4 weeks and the last week I slowly every day replaced the water with my DT water to rule out any water quality issues. It worked well and my fish survived...