Whats better?

S

summerdaze

whats better? glass top or eggcrate and why? thanks

fbm

Hmmmm, is an eggcrate a necessity? Because I just have mine open. Am I screwing up?

alyssia

I'm topless as well :hilarious
But I have had fish jump since I don't have a cover or eggcrate.

steve24

Originally Posted by alyssia
I'm topless as well :hilarious
But I have had fish jump since I don't have a cover or eggcrate.
*peeks* ...lol ***)

michaeltx

not a nessecity just a bit of security for jumpers like firefish and a few others that are notorious for jumping out of the tank.
Mike

grips

I am also topless.
I've used both glass and eggcrate. If I had to choose between glass or eggcrate, I would choose eggcrate.
Eggcrate does diffuse the light, but it won't promote salt creep and allows for better gas exchange. If you have MH, you have to be careful not to melt the eggcrate.
When I used glass, I always had terrible salt creep. The glass needed cleaned a lot and it eventually just gets imposible to clean and blocks a lot of light. It doesn't allow for as much gas exchange, but if you have a sump this isn't a big issue, however if you have an issue with keeping your tank warm, then glass helps hold heat (which is also something to keep in mind if you have over-heating issues).
Overall, I would just go topless unless you keep fish that are notorious jumpers (in which case, I would go with eggcrate).

f14peter

Getting ready to cut and install some eggcrate on my 90g and thought of something . . . first was going to just cut one piece for each of the areas between the center brace and sides. Then it dawned on me that it would be better to cut two pieces for each side. Then I'd be able to pull one part out to allow access to the water without struggling to pull a 24"x18" piece out through the canopy (Or remove the wooden canopy, not a pleasant prospect).
Also, almost every light fixture I've seen advises to only used over a covered tank, to protect the fixture from splashed water I presume. Although water splashed straight up wouldn't be prevented with eggcrate, it would offer some protection from any water moving upward at an angle.

slugg3r

Originally Posted by grips
Overall, I would just go topless unless you keep fish that are notorious jumpers (in which case, I would go with eggcrate).
Does eggrate work well for jumpers? I have jawfish and they are pretty small and known to jump (mine tried for awhile when introduced but have settled down now) I have thought of switching to eggcrate but worry the holes are still to big for the jawfish.

grips

Originally Posted by SLUGG3R
Does eggrate work well for jumpers? I have jawfish and they are pretty small and known to jump (mine tried for awhile when introduced but have settled down now) I have thought of switching to eggcrate but worry the holes are still to big for the jawfish.

I've never had a jawfish, so I can't comment on that specific fish, but in general, the shape of eggcrate makes it very difficult for a fish to make it out of an aquarium. They would have to execute the jump with pinpoint precision to make it through. It's highly improbable, but it's not impossible.

1journeyman

Originally Posted by f14peter
Getting ready to cut and install some eggcrate on my 90g and thought of something . . . first was going to just cut one piece for each of the areas between the center brace and sides. Then it dawned on me that it would be better to cut two pieces for each side. Then I'd be able to pull one part out to allow access to the water without struggling to pull a 24"x18" piece out through the canopy (Or remove the wooden canopy, not a pleasant prospect).
Also, almost every light fixture I've seen advises to only used over a covered tank, to protect the fixture from splashed water I presume. Although water splashed straight up wouldn't be prevented with eggcrate, it would offer some protection from any water moving upward at an angle.
I'm confused. Why do you feel it neccessary to use eggcrate if you have a canopy?
I built my canopy myself, so maybe mine is different from yours, but I've got about 8 inches of space from water to HQI pendants, more from VHO bulbs.
I used window screen to go along the back of the canopy and vented areas.
If my fish want to jump, I figure let them... They're just going to bounce off something and end up back in the tank.

f14peter

Originally Posted by 1journeyman
I'm confused. Why do you feel it neccessary to use eggcrate if you have a canopy?
I have the standard AGA slatted wood hinge-top canopy that doesn't cover the water such as a glass top, it's essentially a decorative top to the whole tank assembly. As is, it sits pretty high off the water, but I've already modified it so it sits higher to make room for the light fixture.
Don't necessarily plan on getting any known jumpers, but might, plus the little extra splash protection is welcome. The canopy however, is wide open in the back, a well propelled jumper could clear that and not stop until he slaps into the wall about a foot behind the tank. Also some concern about a fish jumping into the overflow, the eggcrate would cut the space down to around a 1/2-inch.

1journeyman

Imho I would just screen in the back and egg crate the overflows. You shouldn't have anything splashing up that high, do you?

f14peter

Originally Posted by 1journeyman
Imho I would just screen in the back and egg crate the overflows. You shouldn't have anything splashing up that high, do you?

Well, I am going to try to squeeze in a humpback whale, and it that sucker broaches, Katy bar the door!!!!!

reefrobert

Save it, I have one to! When the power go out, and your know it will, place it on you tank to keep the heat inside the tank