what's closed loop?

dzhuo

Hi,
What's closed loop? Exactly how do you set up a closed loop? What are the advantages and disadvantages of closed loop as oppose to just using power head? If you have a closed loop, do you still need power head?
thanks!
david

melbournefl

a closed loop is simply water leaving the tank via one bulkhead, going to the pump and returning via another bulkhead. It's used strictly for circulation and the reason I use it is that 1) I didn't want a bunch of powerheads in the tank (looks) 2) I didn't want a bunch of powerheads in the tank (heat) and 3) I didn't want a bunch of powerheads in the tank (maintenance) ... so to answer the last part of your question, NO you don't need powerheads with a properly designed closed loop system :D
Later,
Paul

jja

Not too sound ignorant but what do you mean by bulkheads? I have a wet dry with no powerheads in a 55 and am wondering what the diff. is? I do get current from the return in the tank,in fact, my sailfin will swim straight into it. It is hilarious to watch, he is the only fish that can do it,the others get blown away.