What's the BEST salt available?

litlfishy

Has anybody read the S-15 report, it's an independent study on the top-15 salt mixes available. The three salts that tested best are Marine Environment, Bio-Sea and Coral Marine. Does anybody use these salts???? If not what does everybody recommend??

A

alti

looks like a scam to me. those guys just put that comparison up because they sell those salts. i think the vast majority of people use instant ocean. its cheap and has worked fine for me.

wrassecal

I've seen more than one comparison with different results. I've always used instant ocean and never had a problem.

nm reef

Over the past couple of years I've seen a few "reports" on salts for marine use....what really sticks in my mind is apparent bias...depending on who is doing the testing.
I do know this...all I've ever used is Instant Ocean...and it has worked fine in my system. I also know that each time the old "what salt do you use?" question pops up the vast majority pick Instant Ocean...so if the alternatives are so good...why the heck ain't everybody using them instead of Instant Ocean?
Maybe all of us Instant Ocean users just ain't read the right reports!:D

litlfishy

The test was supposedly done by an independent group so as to avoid bias. But, you know, there is no such thing. You can read about the test and how the different salts performed at www.aquacraft.net. I concentrated on the results for pH, silicates, phosphates and copper. Check out the study and post what you think. Like I said I'm just starting out and want what is best. I would take the word of you sucessful tank owners over the test results. But it makes for some interesting reading. Thanks again. Bob

64ivy

I've been using I.O. since 1978. I've made a helluva lot of mistakes since then but I don't think my choice of salt has been one of them.

snowbear

I read some of the articles. I found them (the articles) very biased for the products they sell and pretty much slammed the ones they don't. My unprofessional (and pretty much worthless) opinion is that if your tank is thriving on what you're using, why switch? No matter what the mix tests at when it's first mixed, things will change in a living and dynamic environment. I also wonder how accurate the actual tests are with only 2 samples taken right after mixing? There was quite a variation in most of those lists of tests for the various products with just the 2 samples. This was 2 samples from the same mix? When I mix IO for at least 6 hours, my pH is never over 8.4. They got 8.8 and 9.2!!!! Yipes. Anyhow, this skeptic says if you really want to know, do your own tests and decide for yourself which is the best for your (and your tank's) needs.

blondenaso1

I think people put a little too much emphasis on the minute details of the salt, such as an elevated level of PO4. Do you really think it matters that much? Do you all use RO/DI water? If not they are probably loaded with lots of stuff that you don't even know. AND if you have a mature system it should be able to deal with a little extra PO4 without a major algae blume or anything to taht extent.
I think the most relavent question is the pH issue. I have found that no fresh mixed salt water has a pH anywhere close to 8.4. It always stays around 8.0-8.1 even after airation and time to sit. I have resorted to adding buffer to raise the pH in my freashly added salt mixes. Oh, and I have used both IO and Red Sea and found that they are both good salt mixes.

robb

I use Deep Ocean Premium Reef Formula. My tanks are not reef but my fish and inverts all seem to do very well.

gatorcsm

When first getting into this hobby, I talked to a friend at the Florida Aquarium in Tampa(FL), and asked them what they used for their smaller tanks. They said they use a blend most similar to Tropic Marin, but a commercial type. Said it was one of the more scientifically refined. They said that all the salts were pretty much equal for the 'non-professional' use. They said that Instant Ocean/Red Sea works fine, just that the strains of trace elements are not as pure as that of some more expensive salts. Said that most of the best can be bought at scientific research supply warehouses. Ofcourse, in there huge tank, they have a barge fill up with water from the middle of the gulf and bring it back every 3-6 months for their water changes. I'm pretty sure that tank is over a million gallons, but i can't recall...
Seems that professionals (being Marine Biologists) don't think it is very crucial for home use as long as you don't use extremely cheap salts.

madd catt

The manufactuers of Marine Enviroment and BioSea does not produce the salt called coral sea {i think anyways}kordon does[unless it is manufactured for them}but it got good reviews as also the european salts acording to the S-15 report.As far as instant ocean being a top seller?well [1] more people buying it of course [2 ]Marketing the salt as the simply the best ads to hype [3] because it is so cheap that is all the pet shops want to sell and its hard to get other brands because of this.If all these reports are biased then we a third party independent report to test all salts not just a few like 1 report out there did {i think they got there salts from a pet shop that will go unamed.] The magazine consumer reports may have the tests kits to this.

madd catt

What part ?:rolleyes:What i was replying to was the S-15 report that some folks think it may be biased somewhat but they did give some salt brands that they do not manufacture a good result.Also there was somthing said on why instant ocean was used more? well, because there are more stores selling it then other brands.A third report by consumer reports magazine subjecting these salts to tests might establish more detail on which salts are best?

justinx

What about Reef Crystals? Anyone use this salt. It is made by the same company as I.O, and is the same formula as I.O, but i guess it has more of the trace elements. Currently i use I.O, but i think i may try the reef crystals. Anyone have any experience with this?

nerdy

I have used tropic marin for a few years. It is phosphate free and has just about every trace element avaliable.

radge69

To reply to the reef crystal question. Reef crystal salt seems to work well, corals responded positive to it from the switch form Instant Ocean, but it takes over twice the time to mix compared to Instant Ocean. This is just the findings of myself and a friend. He now uses Reef Crystals, I've always used IO. We've both had good luck with these salts.

Originally posted by Nerdy
I have used tropic marin for a few years. It is phosphate free and has just about every trace element avaliable.

I also used tropic marin, a really good brand, and I also love the cereal boxes it comes in. Makes it very easy for me to mix salt.