What's the deal with raw shrimp to cycle?

king triton

I keep hearing the suggestion to use raw shrimp to cycle the tank. How many do you use? How big? And how long do you keep them in the tank?
Anyone have any cocktail sauce.

ocellaris_keeper

King Triton,
The idea is to start the nitrogen cycle. The shrimp will create ammonia from the decomposing or decaying of the shrimp. This will start the explosion of nitrrifying bacteria which is the filter in a saltwater tank. the nitrifying acteria processes the ammonia into nitrite which creates spawns and explosion of nitrite eatng bacteria which turns nitrite into nitrate.
I hope that wasn't too hard to understand.
Brewski

blueberryboomer

King, We cycled our 200gal with 8 jumbo shrimp that I bought at the grocery store, I left it in til the cycle was complete. Beware, they get pretty smelly though, I put a couple cans of airfreshener on top of the tank and that helped out alot...I liked using this method rather than the damsels it is more humane. Also our cycle seemed to hit harder than with the damsels.... Hope this helps, Later Lisa :D

I know you want to cycle with shrimp but i just stuck 50-lbs. of live rock in my tank and in a week my parameter's were 0. I think this is the fastest way to cycle a tank. But it's probally just 'cause i did and haven't tried the shrimp method yet. Good luck with what ever choice you take. ;)